Client gift ideas
Thread poster: Sonya Gerisch

Sonya Gerisch  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:24
Member (2004)
German to English
Dec 1, 2004

Hello everyone,
It is the time of year again where I need to start sending clients a little thank you/reminder that I am still around. Anyone have any good ideas on what I can send out?
It needs to be something priced reasonably, but also something that I can send out to offices, i.e. that the people in the office can share. I need it for here in the US and in Germany. I thought about gift baskets of food/chocolate, etc., but I haven't really found anything online yet. What do the rest of you do?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:24
English to German
+ ...
Calendars in support of charities Dec 1, 2004

Hi Sonya,
For the last few years, I have been sending out calendars produced by various charities I know personally. Some of the photos are still displayed in some clients' offices.

Cheers, Ralf

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Make a donation to a charity Dec 1, 2004

Why not make a donation to a charity of your choice and send your clients out a nice letter saying that you are not sending out gifts this year, but have chosen to make a donation instead.

It's a great thing to do - it makes you feel good, and hopefully it should make your clients feel good too. Gets you noticed in a different kind of way.

FWIW

Alison

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Why are we all thinking alike? Dec 1, 2004

Holidays for me are NGO promo occasions as well. I just mailed off the first batch of (lovely!) greeting cards made by a handicapped painters' association. It's also a chance for them to get known (that's why I mailed them early).

If I were to send gifts, I'd probably cross the street to my neighbourhood Intermond (equal opportunities) shop. I find it much more meaningful than a self-promoting giveaway.

Victor Potapov
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:24
English to Russian
+ ...
Something a) unusual & standing out, b) useful for a long time, c) inexpensive... Dec 1, 2004

I am now considering the same issues - Christmas and New Year's Eve are almost here!

If you go the gift way, not the charity donation way (charity donations are OK but I feel like imposing my no doubt good will on my client receiving the notice. I would agree that donation would make sense if I knew THE CLIENT'S preferred charity... )

Anyway. If you go the gift way, I would have the following suggestions:

First of all, there are various gift-giving and -taking rules in every country. In US often procurement people cannot accept gifts from vendors (you and I are their vendors) above certain (low) amount. This is not the case (yet) here in Russia. We can give gifts unlimited. Some people use this opportunity in a very direct way, but I see the gifts I give as a much better investment in relationships than kickbacks. I am radically opposed to kickbacks and refuse even when directly asked (and try to avoid working with this client in the future) - for a number of reasons, but that's probably a topic for another thread...

So back to gifts. All things being equal, your gifts should be:

- unusual. Make yourself seen and remembered - Ralf's picturesque wall calendars are good for that.
- durable - your clients will have a NEED to use/display/look at your present for a LONG time. Again, calendar is a good thing - good for a year!
- inexpensive - giving out $200 Mont Blanc pens to even 50 clients is next to useless (total cost: $10,000; total logos distributed: 0, total number of clients' relatives/friends to whom your gift will eventually be transferred: 50). Again, calendars are good - even special-edition should not set you back more than $10-15 per copy (with good quality matte art paper, high-resolution art printing and print runs of say 200 copies).

I came to a conclusion that you need several levels of business souvenirs - one size definitely does not fit all. I have developed the following approach:

- expensive ($100 and up) souvenirs for "highest value" people (they work at my key clients, actively using/promoting my services - my "agents"). These people are usually fairly young, up-and-coming in their organizations, do not have all the status symbols (or cannot afford them ALL at once) but need them very much in their corporate life/struggle. This is more a token of appreciation/friendship than a business souvenir. It should not have your logo on it otherwise the purpose is destroyed (You definitely want to avoid the "Look! Igor got a new Mont Blanc pen! Oh no, it's got a logo of our translation service provider on it! How cheap!.." scenario). I usually give 3 to 5 of those presents per year - pens, cufflinks, Filofax organizers (only leather!..) etc.

My favorite ones were an "office golf set" for a golf fanatic and an automatic shoe-shining machine (made in China, $99) - the guy became an instant hero at his (large) office! Again, those gifts are only some "links" you maintain with your key administrative people.

- mid-range (around $20) - I give around 60-80 of those a year. These go to pretty much everybody you work with at the client. Last year I presented very clever stuff - noteholders. This is a small round solid metal base with 4 or 5 two-inch lengths of rigid multistrand wire protruding out of it with alligator clips attached to the end of each length. These clips hold your messages/notes/etc. in front of you and prevent you from losing important paper messages. Highly useful for a busy administrative worker and will be on his/her desk 100% of the time for a REALLY long time (like a low-tech to-do list).

Of course it has my logo/web site on its metal base))

Cost me $15 with logos printed. Couple years ago I also sent out calendars with my own photos (I was a part-time professional photographer some time ago)- again, to stand out!

- finally, low-cost ($1 and less) - introduction and small tokens, for information only, MUST carry your logo/phone/website info etc. (disposable ballpoint pens, pocket calendars, small calculators, desktop/travel clocks, mugs (ceramic mugs made in China cost $120 per gross (144 mugs) in Moscow before logo printing), etc.

My favorite are pocket calendars - a small 3"x4" laminated sheet of cardboard. Costs $60 per 1,000 copies. Six US cents per copy. Stays with a person for a year. Can't beat this price/performance!

Another good option are "anti-stress balls" - brightly-colored balls made of soft porous rubber, ideal for squeezing. Said to possess stress-relieving properties. They can be made into almost any shape - mobile phone, dice, computer, star, donut, plane, car, animal... you name it!

Of course, you cannot have a Christmas present of a pocket calendar or an anti-stress ball... :-0

So I send out custom-printed greeting/Christmas cards that are filled in by hand (by me) with some individual wishes to every person/company (in some cases I do not know a lot of specifics - in this case the usual wording will do). These cards go out to everybody on the list (about 150-200 persons), including top executives of the Moscow offices of my client companies (provided I have worked with them and they know who I am. Again, not prohibitively expensive - costs around $1-$2 per card depending on print run.

Recently I've translated an article on business souvenir industry in the US. Evidently, it's a thriving and rapidly developing sector. There are regular trade fairs held in large cities - you can see a lot of new ideas at a single fair! You can also consult Yellow Pages under headings like "business souvenirs", "corporate gifts", etc.

I believe creative approach (that also takes into account local gift-taking rules and real needs of individual recipients) wins.

Good luck in your souvenir selection - hope this helps you & others!

Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
What a great idea! Dec 1, 2004

Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:

Why not make a donation to a charity of your choice and send your clients out a nice letter saying that you are not sending out gifts this year, but have chosen to make a donation instead.

It's a great thing to do - it makes you feel good, and hopefully it should make your clients feel good too. Gets you noticed in a different kind of way.

FWIW

Alison

And include any available links, addresses, contacts of the Charity Org. in the letter/greeting.

Thanks for the idea, Alison!

Seadeta

Sonya Gerisch  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:24
Member (2004)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Dec 2, 2004

Wow, thanks so much for the detailed information!
I actually did end up going with a sort of tiered thing as Victor described. I am sending 2 nice baskets filled with goodies from Virginia to my two biggest clients who provide most of my income. Anyone who provided over $1000 in income I am giving a small gift bag to. Other contacts will get a card with perhaps something small. I always send a card or something, but it is always a struggle to come up with something for me. This year I wanted to do something a bit more because I have had such a good year. I like the charity idea too but am unsure of the appropriateness--especially if I don't know the people in the office personally.
We commonly do charity gifts within our family though. I got tired of the whole Christmas circus a long time ago--but I will save that for another thread:).
Thanks again for all the good advice. I always know where to turn when I need some input--ProZ translators!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client gift ideas

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs