Thread poster: Ricardo Nance
Ricardo Nance
Ricardo Nance  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 7, 2014

Is there a reasonable time limit wherein an outsourcer must notify a translator if his quote has been accepted or not? Or are we supposed to remain in the dark.

If the latter, how does one avoid the problem of making a number of quotes in hopes of landing SOMETHING, with the possibility then of having too many projects accepted at the same time?

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:11
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Time response Jul 7, 2014

Ricardo Nance wrote:

Is there a reasonable time limit wherein an outsourcer must notify a translator if his quote has been accepted or not? Or are we supposed to remain in the dark.

If the latter, how does one avoid the problem of making a number of quotes in hopes of landing SOMETHING, with the possibility then of having too many projects accepted at the same time?

Ricardo,

After submitting quotes I usually wait for 24 hours. If the quote involves a Test, some companies ask for a deadline, say, replying within a week with test results and potential proposal.

As far as I've seen, most companies never reply. If communication is done through proZ, a few clients send me some automatic denials.

[Edited at 2014-07-07 14:57 GMT]

Phoebe Indetzki
Phoebe Indetzki  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:11
German to English
+ ...
No response Jul 7, 2014

In my experience, very few outsourcers actually respond at all to decline a quote.

If I haven't had a positive response within a couple of hours (assuming we're in the same time zone), I can be 99% sure the job has been assigned elsewhere.

Unless you're bidding on multiple huge volume projects, I can't see any problem with bidding on more than one job at the same time. As a rule, bidding or no bidding, I find my work tends to come in cycles - some weeks will end up bein
... See more
In my experience, very few outsourcers actually respond at all to decline a quote.

If I haven't had a positive response within a couple of hours (assuming we're in the same time zone), I can be 99% sure the job has been assigned elsewhere.

Unless you're bidding on multiple huge volume projects, I can't see any problem with bidding on more than one job at the same time. As a rule, bidding or no bidding, I find my work tends to come in cycles - some weeks will end up being completely manic, other weeks I have far less work and can finally do some gardening instead

Best regards

Phoebe
Collapse

Ricardo Nance
Ricardo Nance  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU Jul 7, 2014

Thank you both for your helpful responses.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:11
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Your quote isn't contractual Jul 7, 2014

You aren't committed to actually doing the work, just because you've quoted on it; any more than the client is bound to accept your work if all they've done is send you the text for evaluation and quote. Nothing is contractual until terms have been agreed and the client has given the go-ahead - which I insist on seeing in black and white from new clients.

It's a pain when you quote on several jobs and they all want you to do the work - at the same time. "Feast or famine" is the free
... See more
You aren't committed to actually doing the work, just because you've quoted on it; any more than the client is bound to accept your work if all they've done is send you the text for evaluation and quote. Nothing is contractual until terms have been agreed and the client has given the go-ahead - which I insist on seeing in black and white from new clients.

It's a pain when you quote on several jobs and they all want you to do the work - at the same time. "Feast or famine" is the freelancer's lot. Just politely explain to the less tempting jobs that you have since committed to do other work. But make sure the job you want is committed to first or you could end up with nothing!
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:11
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
First come first served. Jul 8, 2014

Ricardo Nance wrote:

I always say it's first come first served, and that's spelled out in my T&C. No commitment arises from a quote until I have both the document and the order confirmation in hand.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client response time

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »