Francesco Damiani
Francesco Damiani  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 06:37
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To be honest......... Aug 14, 2014

............I'm not an employee, but a freelancer: as concerned the invoice, this client today had me suggested that, as soon as I receive the text to translate, I should confirm just by an invoice how much is the total, and in the meanwhile he'll pay.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
That does not sound good Aug 14, 2014

Francesco Damiani wrote:
...as concerned the invoice, this client today had me suggested that, as soon as I receive the text to translate, I should confirm just by an invoice how much is the total, and in the meanwhile he'll pay.

That sounds a bit suspicious, Francesco. Be very careful if the correspondence is only with a name and free e-mail address (like gmail or hotmail), and no other verifiable information, like a company address or website. Translators have become a popular target for scam attempts!
Read this first before you agree to anything:

http://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts/

Also check the person's name in Google and against this list:

http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-directory.htm

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:37
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Very good advice Aug 14, 2014

Woodstock wrote:
Be very careful if the correspondence is only with a name and free e-mail address (like gmail or hotmail), and no other verifiable information, like a company address or website. Translators have become a popular target for scam attempts!

I would be worried, whatever the email address and even if I had the postal address etc. A private individual will sometimes offer to pay me up front, but I've never known a business client offer this. I have extracted partial advance payment on a couple of occasions but it's never been their idea.

It could well be a scam.

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:37
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Scam Aug 14, 2014

Francesco Damiani wrote:

............I'm not an employee, but a freelancer: as concerned the invoice, this client today had me suggested that, as soon as I receive the text to translate, I should confirm just by an invoice how much is the total, and in the meanwhile he'll pay.

This sounds like an overpayment scam.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:37
Russian to English
+ ...
It doesn't matter Aug 15, 2014

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Nothing has changed if you're still operating from Sicilia.

Cheers,
Gerard

Exactly--who cares where you live--it is the internet dominated world. If anyone really cared where translators lived, we would be getting $1/word here, instead of $0.15/w, if lucky.

[Edited at 2014-08-15 10:44 GMT]

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:37
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

... Aug 15, 2014

Hi Francesco,

A quick search in Proz's forums will tell you that almost NO ONE in our profession gets paid PRIOR to submitting work. Just like any service provider- would you pay the guy who fixes your bathroom drains BEFORE he gets here and do the job? You probably will only pay him AFTER. The country itself does not make a difference, it depends entirely on the company. Standard times are you wait for 30 days in order to have your invoice cleared, but there are agencies and client
... See more
Hi Francesco,

A quick search in Proz's forums will tell you that almost NO ONE in our profession gets paid PRIOR to submitting work. Just like any service provider- would you pay the guy who fixes your bathroom drains BEFORE he gets here and do the job? You probably will only pay him AFTER. The country itself does not make a difference, it depends entirely on the company. Standard times are you wait for 30 days in order to have your invoice cleared, but there are agencies and clients out there who'll make you wait between 45 to even 60 days. Then there's of course the client who's willing to pay cash or cheque or other means, but this has nothing to do with Belgium.

From your description though I think you might have met a Nigerian scammer. If that's the case, consider your money and time lost, and please for the love of god, DO NOT give him your bank account information, DO NOT cash in any cheque he's sending you, etc.

Check the "Scams" forum before you do anything with this customer.
Collapse

Francesco Damiani
Francesco Damiani  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but Aug 15, 2014

Of course, YOU MUST be careful before giving account information ecc......to be honest, I think

I had never token a risk like that. I should probably have better explained the words of this

client: for him it's needful a truly invoice. He could be satisfied with a document "proof" as

concerned as the total he must pay. No.......any Nigerian scammer, I think. It's a garage in

Belgium, I had already spoken with him by telephone, and I've jus
... See more
Of course, YOU MUST be careful before giving account information ecc......to be honest, I think

I had never token a risk like that. I should probably have better explained the words of this

client: for him it's needful a truly invoice. He could be satisfied with a document "proof" as

concerned as the total he must pay. No.......any Nigerian scammer, I think. It's a garage in

Belgium, I had already spoken with him by telephone, and I've just got a glimpse to their Internet

site.

For Rita: you suggest a different example, a translator sometimes would be paid in advance to

avoida risk: as soon as your client receives your translation, you'll never see your money. But I

was quite sure you can't hope a payment in advance.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rules for a translation job in belgium

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »