A Bode
A Bode
Germany
Local time: 12:07
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 25, 2014

Does anyone have experience with debt collection agencies in Italy?
I have an outsourcer that simply "decided" not to pay my invoice. I found out the person is quite experienced in doing this, and I made my mind not to let this one simply "escape" with this.

Kindly advice.

[Edited at 2014-08-25 13:10 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:07
Member (2008)
Italian to English
A suggestion Aug 25, 2014

A Bode wrote:

Does anyone have experience with debt collection agencies in Italy?
I have an outsourcer that simply "decided" not to pay my invoice. I found out the person is quite experienced in doing this, and I made my mind not to let this one simply "escape" with this.

Kindly advice.

A colleague suggested one to me quite a while ago. I've never had to approach it directly because on the few occasions on which I had trouble getting people to pay me in Italy, I was able to resolve the problem by other means.

However, this particular debt recovery agency has a website that would put the fear of God into anyone who might even be thinking of not paying.

The website sets out all the steps that they would take to recover a debt, beginning from the simplest ones and gradually escalating all the way up to legal action and recovery of the money plus costs and compensation.

On one occasion on which somebody thought they would be able to get away with not paying me, I simply sent them a link to this website, and was paid within 24 hours.

I don't want to seem to be advertising, so if you want the name of this debt recovery agency, send me a private e-mail.

However: before you go to a debt recovery agency, it might be better to try other means, for example using the blue board.

Even better, ask around, using these forums, to see if there are any colleagues who can recommend a lawyer based in the same town or city as the person who is trying not to pay you. It can often happen that a simple letter from a lawyer, setting out what would happen if they did not pay, can result in swift payment.

Full marks to you for deciding that you are not going to let this pass!

Oh, I forgot to say: agencies often read these forums. When they know that you are online here, seriously looking for ways of getting yourself paid, and that you have no intention of giving up, this, of itself, can often help to persuade them to pay.

[Edited at 2014-08-25 13:46 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:07
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Other steps first? Aug 25, 2014

I don't have any idea about debt collectors, I'm afraid. However, I applaud your wish to chase this debt, even if you do have to lose some of it to a collection company. I know there are limits to the lengths we can go to, particularly if the sum involved is small, but I would do the same as you.

But have you already exhausted other, cheaper, possibilities? There are three steps that I find make a client realise they are up against a supplier who is determined not to work for free:<
... See more
I don't have any idea about debt collectors, I'm afraid. However, I applaud your wish to chase this debt, even if you do have to lose some of it to a collection company. I know there are limits to the lengths we can go to, particularly if the sum involved is small, but I would do the same as you.

But have you already exhausted other, cheaper, possibilities? There are three steps that I find make a client realise they are up against a supplier who is determined not to work for free:

1) A final demand, written in legalese (lots of versions available on the web, in English and in French at least), sent by registered post and making sure that you obtain proof from the post office that the letter has been received. This should give a period in which to pay (normally 14 days minimum for an international letter), failing which further steps will be taken.
2) A solicitor's demand for payment (in addition to or in place of the above). This has no more legal weight than one sent by yourself, and of course there will be a small price to pay for it, but it may convince the client that you're not going to go away.
3) Assuming that this is between Germany and Italy, you can apply for a European Payment Order, with the proof of receipt above as evidence of non-payment. This can be completed online and saved to your computer as a PDF. Emailing this to a client and promising to submit it to the court if payment hasn't been received within 7 days has worked very well for me.

If your debt remains unpiad after that, it's a case of either submitting the claim to the EU courts or contacting a collection company. Either way, make sure your client is still solvent before spending any money.

Good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

debt collection agencies

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »