[Edited at 2004-12-08 20:42]

Direct link

Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:18
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Different Perspectives Dec 8, 2004

You bring up some very legitimate points. I believe that the best way to exchange information about freelancers is through references, not through a public rating system.

The analogy between the Blue Board and other payment practices forums and a similar one for translators seems reasonable at first hand, but to bring it in its true perspective, would it be reasonable to rate individual project managers on Proz or other forums as individual professionals?

Direct link

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes, indeed, this topic has been discussed before Dec 8, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

Discussed many times. There are past threads, Please read them first...

I agree with what Tayfun just mentioned but I would have preferred other (maybe friendlier sounding) words to express this.
With respect to the topic at hand, please have a look at the e.g. the following threads:

[Edited at 2004-12-08 23:15]

Direct link

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:18
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Hello Dec 8, 2004

As Tayfun says (but you couldn't guess!), there are previous discussions about rating translators.
The latest news, as I remember, is that there are arguments and reasons against and in favor. There was also a discussion among moderators, in which Henry asked us what we thought about, and my feeling is that most of us were in favor, but that it had to be not compulsory (anyone would have the possibility to chose whether he wanted to show that rate or not).

Nothing else since then and this was long ago.

Direct link

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Translators vs. Outsourcers Dec 8, 2004

The idea of rating translators pops up every so often it was also debated during recent Conference in Oxford where it seemed to get support from both outsourcers and translators. It was one of the most heated debates, actually.

I'm a bit surprised, though by you saying:

ELCenter wrote:

but WHY there are no discussions between translators here on HOW to work with clients and meet their very basic requirements: quality, delivery, communication?

We are preparing an article about it to be published and wanted to know talents' opinion on those matters.

If you browse 80+ discussion forums at, you would notice that most of our discussions are just about this: quality, delivery, communication with our clients, our professional development, lots of tips sharing on how to do better our job.

Maybe it is not interesting to discuss so I think i will delete my post.

Direct link

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:18
Swedish to English
+ ...
Suggestions for agencies Dec 8, 2004

I'm sorry you deleted you posting while was considering your thoughts/opinion. Anyroads (as I think they say in Yorkshire), this is my respons to your now deleted posting:

As a professional translation agency there, are a few measures you can take to assure you do not find yourself in the kind of situation you mention:

- Do not ‘prospect’ for competent freelancers when you have already received a rush job. Checking the competency of freelancers should be done BEFORE you even receive that very urgent translation assignment.
- Most competent translators, unless they are snowed under with work, are happy to undertake short test translations, about 200-300 words maximum. This amount of words should be enough for a competent assessor to ascertain the quality of the translation. DO make sure you have competent assessors/proofreaders for all the language combinations you advertise.
- Never take on rush jobs unless you have a few ‘screened’ freelance translators in the relevant language combination on the books who you think might be able to take on the assignment (if possible, check availability with your freelancers before confirming the assignment with the client).
- Finally, for new freelance translators – make sure to test them by assigning shorter, non-urgent texts, before handing them that all important 40,000 word document (delivery date yesterday).

If you do not follow these simple rules you leave yourself as vulnerable as a freelance translator who accepts an assignment without checking the Blue Board and other payment lists.

Regards, Madeleine

Direct link

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
Dear outsourcer Dec 8, 2004

Why you do not use the menu Directory/Freelancers?. Take 5 minutes to find the translators you need, speak with then (Skype) in a few minutes you can at least see if you are asking the wrong man, let your proofreader test it, a few words are enough.
To offer a job and to ask for the best rating is like going to buy lambs to a livestock market, with the difference that you can not see our teeth through Internet. Auctioning is not the way to find appropriated translators.

My opinion

Best Rgds

[Edited at 2004-12-08 21:49]

Direct link

Local time: 17:18
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Madeleine raised some very good points Dec 8, 2004

Because of the impersonal nature of Internet, we take our chances on both sides

I think studying the profiles, then assigning smaller, non-rush jobs to new translators is a good idea. Get to know each other, each other`s way of doing business, each other`s quality of work; then you have a sound basis for a professional relationship.

I wish you hadn`t muzzled yourself by deleting your post. All comments, remarks, questions on the translation industry as a whole are welcome here.

Kind regards,

Direct link

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Comments are indeed welcome Dec 8, 2004

Hi 'ELCenter',
Sorry, but I can no longer address you by name.

I wish you hadn`t muzzled yourself by deleting your post. All comments, remarks, questions on the translation industry as a whole are welcome here.

I would like to strongly support Nancy's words, and I apologise for the unnecessary harshness in the tone of some contributions to this thread. I sincerely hope that the positive image you have gained of (that much I could read in the original notification) was not tainted by such behaviour.

Best regards,

Direct link
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 17:18
Topic not to be dismissed out of hand Dec 8, 2004

ELCenter's post was well-intentioned and, I would submit, not to be dismissed out of hand. Presumably ELCenter knows how to qualify translators and needn't be told; certainly, the wish for additional tools to distinguish the best ones is not at all uncommon, even (especially?) among the most desirable outsourcers.

What we discussed in Oxford was the idea of providing tools for our members to *differentiate themselves* based on quality and service (and for some, to provide additional means to justify higher-than-average rates.) Virtually everyone who has understood this objective has supported it, and we are therefore resolved to do it.

We'll ask for member input when the time is right for developing this feature. In the meantime, I am asking members to reserve judgment, have an open mind, and take a positive approach. Ask yourself: what "track record" tools would benefit me as a translator? What you come up with is what we'll develop.

I am locking this thread since ELCenter has removed his/her post.

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate freelancers on PROZ

Advanced search

Translation news

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs