Unpaid internship: experience building opportunity or simply taking advantage?
Thread poster: Fanny Gendrau
Fanny Gendrau
Fanny Gendrau
Ireland
Local time: 13:03
English to French
+ ...
Sep 11, 2014

Hi,

I've been a professional translator (en/fr) for 3 years now and I'm looking for interpreting experience.

As I was browsing the web for such opportunities, I found an offer for unpaid translation/interpretation internships on Trovit and responded to the offer right away.

Much to my surprise, I was offered an interview within the next 5 minutes! (Too good to be true?)
In his email, Mr T. W. fr
... See more
Hi,

I've been a professional translator (en/fr) for 3 years now and I'm looking for interpreting experience.

As I was browsing the web for such opportunities, I found an offer for unpaid translation/interpretation internships on Trovit and responded to the offer right away.

Much to my surprise, I was offered an interview within the next 5 minutes! (Too good to be true?)
In his email, Mr T. W. from *kept anonymous as per Proz.com forum rules* asked me to meet him in person, the next day, in Dublin city centre (in Ireland, where I'm based).

Before I responded, I searched Google...

Well, while I was under the impression that Mr T. W. offered unpaid internships to prospective candidates because he ran a non-profit organisation (I'm sure you've guessed what follows by now), it appears that the aforementioned experience opportunities serve his own purpose: charging his clients with very low rates.
While I understand that low rates are a necessity in order to establish one's business and build a client database, I strongly disagree with making a profit at the expense of other professionals' skills and time.

Please comment and share if you have dealt with this, or similar organisations: I would be interested to read your reactions.

Have a good day,

Fanny.

[Edited at 2014-09-11 12:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-12 07:53 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unpaid internship: experience building opportunity or simply taking advantage?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »