Thread poster: Lotte Bulckens
Lotte Bulckens
Lotte Bulckens  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:08
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 3, 2014

I have thought about using SDL Language Cloud. Anyone who is using it too?
Do you believe SDL Language Cloud is contrary to the habitual confidentiality agreements of translation agencies?
How do you handle this issue?
Any feedback is welcome!
Thanks!

Maria Amorim (X)
Maria Amorim (X)  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to Portuguese
+ ...
My opinion: don´t use Oct 3, 2014

In Sweden, some big translation companies already state this either in the confidentiality agreement or as additional information to providers: it is not accepted to use any type of cloud services, as one cannot guarantee where the information is stored or how it will be used. This also applies to Google Translate AutoSuggest as new add-in SDL Trados Studio.
As a rule I don´t expose any confidential information to any potential risk, as far as I can control it.

Lotte Bulckens
Lotte Bulckens  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 3, 2014

Hello Maria,

Thank you very much for your reply
I am inclined to think like you...
Lotte

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Clouding, no thanks Oct 5, 2014

Cloud options are definitely not for me.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:08
Member (2008)
Italian to English
"a series of horrible, cloud-related problems" Oct 5, 2014

Nor me. In my opinion the Cloud is wild, uncharted territory into which Internet users should not stray; it marks the limit of what computer users can and cannot do, or should and should not do.

Before doing anything that involves storing data on the Cloud or retrieving it, an on-screen warning notice "HIC SUNT LEONES" should be displayed.

The following article sums up the concerns of many, including myself:
... See more
Nor me. In my opinion the Cloud is wild, uncharted territory into which Internet users should not stray; it marks the limit of what computer users can and cannot do, or should and should not do.

Before doing anything that involves storing data on the Cloud or retrieving it, an on-screen warning notice "HIC SUNT LEONES" should be displayed.

The following article sums up the concerns of many, including myself:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2618094/cloud-security/apple-icloud-breach-proves-wozniak-s-point-about-cloud-risks.html

- to which I would add that above a certain limit you have to pay for the amount of Cloud space you use, and it's predictable that over time this cost will increase. If for any reason you stop paying, you lose access to all your stuff.

Just imagine there's someone out there who doesn't like you (I'm sure we all have somebody). With a little perseverance they could access your Cloud account and from there, as the article says, they could wipe all the data from all your devices !

No thanks ! I don't need that !

[Edited at 2014-10-05 08:47 GMT]
Collapse

Michal Fabian
Michal Fabian  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:08
Dutch to Slovak
+ ...
No silver lining here Oct 5, 2014

Cloud technologies: allowing you and random nerds in their basements to access your files from anywhere. And this is hardly a hypothetical, far-fetched concern, as has been proven just about a month ago. I find it rather frightening that it took leaked nude photos of actresses for the cloud bubble to burst, but I guess that's just the decline of the human race for you.

On a side note, using Gmail or other free e-mail accounts for business purposes also violates the provisions of mos
... See more
Cloud technologies: allowing you and random nerds in their basements to access your files from anywhere. And this is hardly a hypothetical, far-fetched concern, as has been proven just about a month ago. I find it rather frightening that it took leaked nude photos of actresses for the cloud bubble to burst, but I guess that's just the decline of the human race for you.

On a side note, using Gmail or other free e-mail accounts for business purposes also violates the provisions of most standard NDAs.
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Language Cloud, other Clouds, Gmail, other mail, browsing the internet, adsl etc. vs. NDAs Oct 6, 2014

I just want to say that the answer to Lotte's question is not so obvious as it might seem.

Michal Fabian wrote:
On a side note, using Gmail or other free e-mail accounts for business purposes also violates the provisions of most standard NDAs.

I might be wrong. But I always thought that one can probably extend Michal's point to the whole use of e-mail altogether. Actually, my Gmail space and service is not free and Gmail's T&C and privacy docs seem to guarantee my privacy no less than other services.

I also have a much less convenient private (and also paid) domain name with many mailboxes on one of the best known and trusted "world class" hosting services. After what I managed to read and understand from the fineprint of their various T&Cs, I am not convinced at all that my email messages there are more secure than those on Gmail. And I am not completely sure about the consequences of their own reliance on complex use of server virtualization...

After all, bits and pieces of every single message hop repeatedly on many different servers around the world before getting to destination... To be really compliant we should probably make a consistent use of PGP or other serious private double key cryptography systems - but this is so impractical that it could jeopardize the mere existence of a free-lance translator. And it might not be enough.

Tom wrote:
Just imagine there's someone out there who doesn't like you (I'm sure we all have somebody). With a little perseverance they could access your Cloud account and from there, as the article says, they could wipe all the data from all your devices !

Hi Tom! So, you would be prepared to swear that your mail and your computer are so much harder to be hacked or accessed?

Michal Fabian:
And this is hardly a hypothetical, far-fetched concern, as has been proven just about a month ago.

Dear Michal, can you please be more specific about the incident you are referring to, exactly which data were accessed from where, and why that example is relevant here?

In conclusion, I wonder how much our judgment in this matter might be clouded by our (justified) luddite instincts.

[Edited at 2014-10-06 03:00 GMT]

Brent Pickering
Brent Pickering  Identity Verified
French to English
See SDL's Terms and Conditions Jul 12, 2015

Hi,

The SDL Language Cloud T&Cs on https://languagecloud.sdl.com/translation-services/terms_and_conditions.asp, and notably clauses 5 and 6, state that SDL can legally store your segments produced using Language Cloud, and reuse them to provide 100% and Fuzzy Matches for other translations in the future (SDL can also legally retrieve and store your
... See more
Hi,

The SDL Language Cloud T&Cs on https://languagecloud.sdl.com/translation-services/terms_and_conditions.asp, and notably clauses 5 and 6, state that SDL can legally store your segments produced using Language Cloud, and reuse them to provide 100% and Fuzzy Matches for other translations in the future (SDL can also legally retrieve and store your existing translation text "on file with SDL", though what this actually means is not stated), and you alone are liable for any resulting litigation.

Reading this, I would not recommend using SDL Language Cloud to translate any source texts that include people's or company names if any confidential or personal information is involved, even doing so would not breach a Confidentiality Agreement...
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 12, 2015

[Edited at 2015-07-13 02:11 GMT]

Luca Tutino
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Is this happening just at SDL Cloud? Jul 12, 2015

Brent Pickering wrote:
The SDL Language Cloud T&Cs on https://languagecloud.sdl.com/translation-services/terms_and_conditions.asp and notably clauses 5 and 6, state that SDL can legally store your segments produced using Language Cloud, and reuse them to provide 100% and Fuzzy Matches for other translations in the future (SDL can also legally retrieve and store your existing translation text "on file with SDL", though what this actually means is not stated), and you alone are liable for any resulting litigation.

Reading this, I would not recommend using SDL Language Cloud to translate any source texts that include people's or company names if any confidential or personal information is involved, even doing so would not breach a Confidentiality Agreement...

I entirely agree with you. Those clauses are unacceptable for professional translators and are very dangerous, in a product that is integrated with such a widely used tool.

They clearly state that SDL intends to store any submitted originals for the purpose of exploiting them commercially (for the purpose of SDL's services and products). So any personal or private information submitted immediately becomes commercially available, under the sole responsibility of the incautious translator.

As far as I can see, MT is used in one form or another by many translators. For instance, In my review jobs I encounter more and more "AT" marked segments in Trados packets, and/or errors most probably coming from MT use. I hope that the above is a peculiar language of SDL Cloud's T&C, and is just another aspect of a predatory attitude towards translators at SDL's.

Or is it to be found in other MT providers too?

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Professional translators need to protect their work Jul 12, 2015

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Do they mean your "future translations" or future translations for the public?

Is SDL the same as Trados? Hopefully they will rewrite this or else a whole lot of translators and agencies may drop SDL like a hot potato.

I don't use cloud tools either (or save files), but this kind of behavior would make me want to delete all traces of SDL from my computer.

Perhaps this clause should be reported and copied on every translation site and blog on the internet and in every language possible! I will certainly be letting all my agencies know about it (a great way to reconnect with some of them anyway).

I think the answer to the OP's question is now definitely YES!

Besides, ProZ offers what looks like a better alternative without the risk of your translations being reused by a .01-per-word translator: https://www.tm-town.com/ ("Documents you upload can NOT be searched or leveraged by others.")

The SDL Language Cloud T&Cs on https://languagecloud.sdl.com/translation-services/terms_and_conditions.asp, and notably clauses 5 and 6, state that SDL can legally store your segments produced using Language Cloud, and reuse them to provide 100% and Fuzzy Matches for other translations in the future (SDL can also legally retrieve and store your existing translation text "on file with SDL", though what this actually means is not stated), and you alone are liable for any resulting litigation.

... for other translations by other translators that have access?

There is way to little discourse on protecting one's work. But it seems many aren't aware of what this all means for the future of the profession.

See my post here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/287990-translation_memory_tm_is_the_translators_intellectual_property_ip.html

My hope is that at least professionals will inform themselves and do the right thing.

[Edited at 2015-07-12 20:28 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I think you have the wrong end of the stick here... Jul 12, 2015

Brent Pickering wrote:

Hi,

... ... this is all about Translation Services and it's not the T's & C's for the Language Cloud machine translation you use. So these are services where SDL does the translation for whoever uses it. It means SDL could create Translation Memories, or improve their own trained Machine Translation engines... pretty much the same as you guys do with the work you translate for your clients. Isn't this normal? This is not about taking any translation work you do for your clients.

The T's and C's relating to the Language Cloud Machine Translation engines are here:

https://languagecloud.sdl.com/translation-toolkit/terms-and-conditions

In general SDL need to keep your source long enough to be able to provide you with a translation, which is obvious of course. There is no mechanism in place to take a corrected translation from you, and if you think about it why would we? How do we know which are good translations and which are not?

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Luca Tutino
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
I am glad to read this Jul 12, 2015

As far as I understand it, SDL will not try to steal any piece of text submitted by a translator to a MT engine. This is good.

Thank you for clearing it up, Paul!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Very reassuring Jul 13, 2015

Thanks, Paul.

I don't use the Cloud anyway, and don't plan to, but never say never!

Brent Pickering
Brent Pickering  Identity Verified
French to English
I'm glad I was wrong in "See SDL's Terms and Conditions" Jul 14, 2015

Thanks for your clarification Paul!

I read the SDL Privacy Policy for the Language Cloud Machine Translation engines at
https://languagecloud.sdl.com/translation-toolkit/terms-and-conditions, and particularly PRIVACY POLICY paras 3 and 4.

I'm relieved to see that the segments submitted for MT within Studio by freelancers, as well as t
... See more
Thanks for your clarification Paul!

I read the SDL Privacy Policy for the Language Cloud Machine Translation engines at
https://languagecloud.sdl.com/translation-toolkit/terms-and-conditions, and particularly PRIVACY POLICY paras 3 and 4.

I'm relieved to see that the segments submitted for MT within Studio by freelancers, as well as termbases and dictionaries, will indeed remain confidential.

[Edited at 2015-07-14 10:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-07-14 10:39 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Language Cloud versus Confidentiality agreements

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »