why am I suspicious of this email? And is the rate too low?
Thread poster: Olga Koepping
Olga Koepping
Olga Koepping  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:24
German to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2014

I put a bid in for a job last week, on Thursday I think, to translate a book about the history of bicycles, IT > EN. The job was posted by a very well-known Italian publisher.

Today I got an email, apparently from the publisher, telling me the rate that they are offering and requesting my CV. So I have two concerns:

1) Why are they asking for my CV when I already sent it with my bid?

2) IF this is actually all above-board, i.e. it really is the publisher
... See more
I put a bid in for a job last week, on Thursday I think, to translate a book about the history of bicycles, IT > EN. The job was posted by a very well-known Italian publisher.

Today I got an email, apparently from the publisher, telling me the rate that they are offering and requesting my CV. So I have two concerns:

2) IF this is actually all above-board, i.e. it really is the publisher not someone who has found my email, and I get the job, is the rate of EUR 17 per "cartella" acceptable? I know that's kind of up to me, it just sounds a little low.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Probably no problem Nov 11, 2014

Olga Koepping wrote:

Maybe the person asks everyone for their CV again, to ensure that they have the latest version of the CV (some translators have old CVs on their ProZ.com profiles, and ProZ.com sends those CVs along with bids).

Olga Koepping
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I must have been reading too many scam boards Nov 11, 2014

Thanks Sam, you're right and I should try not to be too paranoid! I'll just send my CV, and see what happens.

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Rates Nov 11, 2014

Olga Koepping wrote:

2) IF this is actually all above-board, i.e. it really is the publisher not someone who has found my email, and I get the job, is the rate of EUR 17 per "cartella" acceptable? I know that's kind of up to me, it just sounds a little low.

Hello Olga,

For Italy and publishing, that rate is supposed to be fair. Ask your client what he means with "cartella", unless you already know it.

Good Luck!
Giusi

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Publishing = low rates Nov 11, 2014

The rates in book publishing are traditionally low everywhere, but it's worth trying to negotiate a royalty (per copy sold) on top of that.

Mailand
Mailand  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
Italian to German
+ ...
Normal for Italy Nov 11, 2014

Hi Olga,
unfortunately 17 euro per "cartella" (can be either 1500 or 1600 keystrokes, check with the editor) is quite normal. If you accept, be careful about checking the term of payment (could be 60, 90 or even 120 days!) and get the name of the accountant responsible for your kind of payment right away - one of the "glitches" late payments are often blamed on is that no one knows who to pass things on to ...
The topic sounds very interesting, so good luck!

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I asked them how many words it was Nov 11, 2014

... but never received a reply. They also asked for my CV when I'd already sent it, so they don't inspire much confidence. It sounds like it's very badly paid either way.

I don't know why people still use pages and keystrokes - it's presumably a relic of the days before word processors and instant wordcounts.

[Edited at 2014-11-11 19:12 GMT]

Olga Koepping
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Phil & others Nov 12, 2014

Thank you to all of your for your responses, Phil in particular as you confirmed that they are not serious about awarding the job to a good translator - considering that from your profile you would be the ideal candidate.

Just wish that Italian agencies / companies were a bit less ... what's the word, painful!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

why am I suspicious of this email? And is the rate too low?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »