counting by word, line, spaces, etc
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 14, 2002

I would like to know how to count in all these ways.

Qs

1. what is the conversion rate each for characters without spaces, characters with spaces, words, lines, page?

2. what crietria are applied as a basis for standardisation?

Perhaps there is a referece page somewhere that might help?

And by the way, just in case this Q gets posted, two other forum items of mine WERE NOT POSTED and I would like to know why!!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
There was a posting once (Patricia Lutteral, was it?) May 15, 2002

about line rates, and I can\'t find it anymore. Be that as it may, the words/line were pegged at 9.2 by our German colleagues, who know this system better.

I recently heard about the characters, but am still unable to figure that one out. I\'m curious, anyone?

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 21:00
SITE FOUNDER
Both Siulach questions are posted at... May 15, 2002

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewforum&eid_c=1&forum=14&631

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
counting your work May 15, 2002

I had trouble finding Henry\'s reference, so I will write how things are done in Poland and hope the moderator won\'t snip me as being redundant

A common \"translation unit\" in Poland is a page, consisting of 1800 or 1600 characters (including spaces).

When you finish your translation, you go to the \"Tools\" command on your menu and find \"word count\" (or something similar - I use the Polish version of Word 2000) and let it count the characters including spaces. Then you divide the total by 1800 (or 1600) and get the number of pages, for which you set your rate (e.g. XX EURO/page). You can round up to the nearest page, or not.

To me, this is the fairest way to get paid because you are independent of:

- font size (and type - some fonts take up more space than others),

- margin size,

- line spacing.

- you get paid for every keystroke, including punctuation, tables full of numbers etc. After all, commas and hyphens are also part of your translation.

- these arguments work in your favour and in the client\'s favour (so you are \"fair\" to your client).

The difference between 1800 and 1600 chars. is purely psychological - your rate per 1600 is a little lower than per 1800 chars. Many people get caught on this.

Historically, 1800 characters is from the days of typewriters. A standard typewritten page is 30 lines of 60 characters each.

Paul Skalinski

Jacek Krankowski  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Henry, May 15, 2002

Could you, please, be more specific about that reference you have provided?

BTW, can\'t provide you wih any conversion measure, but jut wanted to say that the EU Commission standard page is 1,500 characters without spaces.

Jane Lamb-Ruiz  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
ME too May 15, 2002

I am also interested in this. I count the characters in word (no space) and divide by 1500 to get the number of pages.

Would like a more specific reference re Henry\'s posting too. Couldn\'t find anything on top.

Thanx

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

counting by word, line, spaces, etc

Advanced search

Translation news

TransPDF.com PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs