Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 6, 2005

I find that Outlook jams unless I empty out email every 3 months or so. So far I have been archiving using the Outlook PST system, but when I need to check an email going back beyond 3 months, I simply don't know how to recuperate it.

Apart from wondering how to recover an old email from a PST file, has anyone else got any ideas on how to deal with the huge volumes of email that accumulate?

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Web account Jan 6, 2005

Experience from a non-Outlook user:
As I did not want to depend on one provider (or one hard disk), I have an upgraded Yahoo account that stores 2gb of e-mails, and I have so far managed to fill up 8% in almost 2 years. I organise my e-mails by clients.
I copy-paste PO's by e-mail into Word documents (without deleting the original e-mail, just in case).
Once in a while I delete e-mails about old jobs that were paid anyway.
E-mail digests from Translator's groups, etc. get
... See more
Experience from a non-Outlook user:
As I did not want to depend on one provider (or one hard disk), I have an upgraded Yahoo account that stores 2gb of e-mails, and I have so far managed to fill up 8% in almost 2 years. I organise my e-mails by clients.
I copy-paste PO's by e-mail into Word documents (without deleting the original e-mail, just in case).
Once in a while I delete e-mails about old jobs that were paid anyway.
E-mail digests from Translator's groups, etc. get deleted afer reading. All unsolicited e-mail goes in to a bulk mail folder that gets emptied automatically once a month.
What more could I ask for?

[Edited at 2005-01-06 22:11]
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Nothing compares to Outlook 2003 Jan 6, 2005

it is the best. To handle archived pst, well, you have to take a look into the help file. Like Word it is a very vast program and need some study. But the possibilities to interact between the calendar, contacts and Tasks are fine. Regardless the synchronization with my mobil telephon and my Pocket PC.

Normally I work with Opera (M2) but once a day I make a kind of backup with Outlook 2003. But I do it cause RAM problems (Opera, 3 Dics, Skype, GMX, Dragon, Trados, TV,...) so I can n
... See more
it is the best. To handle archived pst, well, you have to take a look into the help file. Like Word it is a very vast program and need some study. But the possibilities to interact between the calendar, contacts and Tasks are fine. Regardless the synchronization with my mobil telephon and my Pocket PC.

Normally I work with Opera (M2) but once a day I make a kind of backup with Outlook 2003. But I do it cause RAM problems (Opera, 3 Dics, Skype, GMX, Dragon, Trados, TV,...) so I can not let Outlook running all the time.

"The Bat" is very good too, but if you have Outlook 2003...

RGds

Toledo
Collapse

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
This works for me Jan 7, 2005

So far I have been archiving using the Outlook PST system, but when I need to check an email going back beyond 3 months, I simply don't know how to recuperate it.

Apart from wondering how to recover an old email from a PST file, has anyone else got any ideas on how to deal with the huge volumes of email that accumulate?

I have Outlook 2000 and I have different folders for my clients. Whenever I receive a new project, I open a new folder within the client´s folder. All my correspondance about that job goes into that newly created folder. Three or four weeks after delivering my translation, when no further correspondance is expected, I export the folder as a PST file and save it in the client's folder in my hard drive, with all the material for the project (originals, P.O., instructions, glossaries, references, PDFs, my translation... you name it). And then I delete it from Outlook. If I need to check anything, I import it back into Outlook.

I have been doing that for several years now and it works well for me.

Hope it helps, Ailish.

P.

[Edited at 2005-01-07 03:20]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Get a mail client that saves per-folder mailboxes Jan 7, 2005

Ailish Maher wrote:

If you change to a mail client that saves every folder's mail in a separate file (such as Mozilla, but there are others), you can simply move all old mail to a separate folder. You can then either keep these folders active or you can move them to a back-up location.

Wouter van Kampen
Wouter van Kampen
Thailand
Local time: 17:20
Danish to Dutch
+ ...
delete and/or get Pegasus Jan 7, 2005

Ailish Maher wrote:

--snip--
has anyone else got any ideas on how to deal with the huge volumes of email that accumulate?

Delete as much a you can - why bother archiving every exchange of message regarding a specific project once you have been paid for it -
and/or download Pegasus from http://www.pmail.com/
You will be amazed how versatile this client is.

Good luck

BTW the Mozilla-community is about to launch Sunbird
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird.html
not yet all the functionality of Outlook but they're getting there byte by byte

[Edited at 2005-01-07 11:34]

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Sunbird will be good, Lightning Jan 7, 2005

titi@home wrote:

BTW the Mozilla-community is about to launch Sunbird
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird.html
not yet all the functionality of Outlook but they're getting there byte by byte

In fact there is a Mozilla product code-named Lightning, which will integrate calendar and organizer features with Thunderbird. It is not there yet, it is scheduled for mid-2005.

I agree that Outlook is quite powerful, I don't have anything against MS products in principle. However,the sheer thought of the number of homegrown hackers who are trying to exploit its weaknesses at this very moment makes me consider Outlook as somewhat unsafe as an email application.

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why you have to bother... Jan 7, 2005

Delete as much a you can - why bother archiving every exchange of message regarding a specific project once you have been paid for it

In Spain, law mandates that you need to maintain full records for the last five years of your practice. Maybe you have no such requirement in your country, but we do. It may not be very useful clientwise, but since I have that requirement I prefer to save everything.

Kind regards,

P.

[Edited at 2005-01-07 14:25]

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Importing PST BACK???? Jan 7, 2005

Pilar T. Bayle wrote:

....I export the folder as a PST file and save it in the client's folder in my hard drive, .... And then I delete it from Outlook. If I need to check anything, I import it back into Outlook.

P.

How do you do that, import the PST back into Outlook. I have looked at the Import function and it diesn't specify PST files?

PS: Your organisation ideas seem really useful, I will try and implement similar:-)

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
1 folder for each client? Jan 9, 2005

Pilar T. Bayle wrote:

I have Outlook 2000 and I have different folders for my clients. Whenever I receive a new project, I open a new folder within the client´s folder...

I have been doing that for several years now and it works well for me.

Hope it helps, Ailish.

P.

Interesting. Till now I used the contacts cards where you can see all "activities" (at least in Outlook 2003).

But maybe it is not bad to create folders with each project.

I will try it

Thks

Toledo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

handling and organising email

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »