Valeria Burova  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 09:27
Member (2014)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Not exactly like that: Apr 13, 2015

Edward Vreeburg wrote:

But then again, why do you apply to loads of agencies if they don't have work, do not match your skills, experience, rates, language combinations, etc...

Do you mention your clients on your CV?
... the agency is likely to contact them and offer lower rates

I would apply to an agency only in case if they look for people with my experience , language pair etc and more often I have to provide them with own rates - otherwise if rates don't suit me, I skip such offers..

You recommend apply to only those who show up with certain project, right?

As about direct clients.. yes, probably this may happen especially for small clients.. but what if agencies cost even more than freelancers work or the same - they have to share the profit? Or some rates sometimes are already quite low.. Or the client is oriented at working with freelancers exactly?

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:27
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
No harm Apr 13, 2015

Valeria Burova wrote:

As about direct clients.. yes, probably this may happen especially for small clients.. but what if agencies cost even more than freelancers work or the same - they have to share the profit? Or some rates sometimes are already quite low.. Or the client is oriented at working with freelancers exactly?

I mainly work with direct clients. Most of them are SMEs. These type of clients like to deal with the same person all the time and they really only have translation requirements in my language pair. They are very interested in subject-specific knowledge. They want to know that I understand their business. It's a different kind of working relationship. Clients who need everything in several languages, have high volume requirements, or are always in a mad rush, are better served with an agency, as that requires a lot of coordination. There is no form-filling, but I have some crazy NDAs, some like to discuss projects over the phone, I have to remind them to link source files for graphs, rather than insert screen shots, etc. So the effort is simply moved to other areas.

And yes, I wouldn't mention clients' names. That is a very valid point. There are "bad agencies", who like to steal clients. I don't know how common that is, but it does happen.

But in general, I wouldn't worry too much about the form-filling. It's annoying, and if I'm busy, I tend to put things like that off. Existing projects take priority. But I see no harm in it. My better clients have either not required lots of paperwork, or only asked for it after the completion of a first project. But few of us can afford to limit ourselves to such clients. I would simply suggest not to expect anything. Fill out forms when you actually have time and assume that it gets filed in some database. Sometimes, I do get an unexpected project offer several months later.

[Edited at 2015-04-13 11:58 GMT]

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
I have been wondering about this too Apr 13, 2015

But on the whole I don't mind doing short test translations and/or fill in a form, how would they otherwise know I am out there?

Some do go a bit overboard with admin and back and forth e-mails and I do wonder whether all this makes good business sense for them, especially when they then offer me half the rate I stated in the first place?

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Theory Apr 13, 2015

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

Some do go a bit overboard with admin ... especially when they then offer me half the rate I stated in the first place?

There is a relationship, and I think this has been noted by many.
My theory is this:
If they expect disproportionate amounts of paperwork AND they expect it to be filled in straight away, only translators who really have nothing else to do and/or are desperate will be willing and/or able to entertain it. The stronger the desperation, the higher the propensity to agree to compromises.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 03:27
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Stopped signing NDAs and doing test translations Apr 13, 2015

I have stopped doing these but do not think agencies have a deceitful purpose; they only gather a pool of translators in case they are let down by any of their translators in a particular language pair and then they offer a low rate so I have decided not to waste time or bother about signing and sending NDAs. It's all a terrible waste of time for me.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A modest proposal Apr 13, 2015

Valeria Burova wrote:
I am trying to understand perspectives and what to expect in terms of work flow - it seems to be absolutely unpredictable...

After twenty years of experience with this kind of situations, the main advice I can give you is to never sign any NDA, framework agreement, or other documents unless there is a job at hand that has been already assigned to you. Simply ask the person you are dealing with whether they have a real job they need to assign, and make sure they accept your rate and commit to sending the job your way if you sign the papers. As simple as that!

This way, you will be protected from "CV gatherers" whose task is, for whatever the reasons, to simply gather more CVs, not to assign real work.

Now, here is an idea: why don't we ask customers to include the following clause in NDAs and framework agreements before we sign them?

Both parties agree that this agreement will be null and void in case no work is assigned to and accepted by the subcontractor over a period of three (3) months from the date of signature, or in case no work is assigned to and accepted by the subcontractor for two (2) years since the date of the most recent delivery by the subcontractor. This clause shall not affect the survival of confidentiality clauses contained herein.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Standard procedure for agencies Apr 30, 2015

Valeria Burova wrote:

I faced this situation really many times, when you sign with many agencies but don't receive any assignments for a year or some of them cut off communication in process of hiring - like when you are already supposed to sign NDA and don't receive it and any other messages anymore and reminding of myself causes no reaction or sometimes after I see they look for freelancers again.

Which reasons may cause such? May it depend on the market and language pair I work in? rates as they could find someone cheaper?..
I guess it may also be the situation when agencies look for people for certain project that never happened but may this be the same situation for that many?.. I really don't understand why they hire freelancers otherwise...

More parasitic, predatorial or clueless agencies act like a wasp hive with collective consciousness that wants to bind every lliving translator to an NDA and a non-compete and negotiate his rates down to the bottom just for the sake of principle.

Others are just more on the chaotic side. We're all human, including PMs.

Don't go through hours on hours of reviewing and negotiating the contract, providing documents etc. and especially don't sign any non-competition clauses for agencies that aren't prepared to give you work.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies sign but never send work or cut off communication

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »