Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
United States
Local time: 23:15
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
Jan 25, 2005

Hello colleagues in the US

ATA offers a liability insurance to its members. I am considering it but I would like to know whether or not it is "worth it". Do one need an insurance? How many of you have one? Grateful for your input.

CML
CML  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:15
French to English
+ ...
It's worth the investment Jan 30, 2005

It depends on how your business is set up. If you're a sole proprietor (not incorporated and not an LLC) and a client sues you for translating something incorrectly, they can go after your personal assets (house, car, savings account, etc..). If you're set up as an LLC or Corporation, they can only go after your business assets, but in either case I would recommend the insurance. It's not terribly expensive, it's a tax write off and will protect you if someone sues you.
I'm not a lawyer,
... See more
It depends on how your business is set up. If you're a sole proprietor (not incorporated and not an LLC) and a client sues you for translating something incorrectly, they can go after your personal assets (house, car, savings account, etc..). If you're set up as an LLC or Corporation, they can only go after your business assets, but in either case I would recommend the insurance. It's not terribly expensive, it's a tax write off and will protect you if someone sues you.
I'm not a lawyer, but I would talk to one about the policy and together you can decide if it's best. As an agency owner, I can tell you that if a client were to sue me regarding a translation issue, I would in turn sue the translator and proofreader. I have the ATA policy for this reason.
Hope this helps!
Christina

Terese Whitty wrote:

Hello colleagues in the US

ATA offers a liability insurance to its members. I am considering it but I would like to know whether or not it is "worth it". Do one need an insurance? How many of you have one? Grateful for your input.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Liability insurance in US?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »