Mobile menu

Contract with Agency: asking your advice!
Thread poster: annaba

annaba
Local time: 21:06
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 11, 2005

Dear collegues, a good agency I already work with (they are professional, nice, pay punctually... the agency of my dreams I would say!) has asked me to subscribe a contract. There is one ssíngle point I am not very sure of: they say ask that I will not actively approach by myself customers with whom the agency already works for 6 months from the date of the last work carried out for this customer through the agency. Did anyone already subscribe a clause like this or would you subscribe it without any problems? Thank you a lot for your precious opinion!

Direct link Reply with quote

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:06
German to English
+ ...
I would sign it Feb 11, 2005

Annaba, I wouldn't have a problem signing such a contract. It is a typical "non-compete" clause, and I thing the agency is rather generous to apply this clause for only six months, rather than the usual 1-2 years.

Trudy

Alejandra Villarroel  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't about Ireland Feb 11, 2005

But it would be a normal clause in this side of the world, considering even longer periods of time.
ALEJANDRA

Mark Xiang
Local time: 03:06
English to Chinese
+ ...
That's a norm. Feb 11, 2005

Usually 1-2 years, rather than 6 months. You are lucky, really!

Mark

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
My only concern... Feb 11, 2005

I signed an agreement similar to the one you mention, but I changed the clause so that it read

"any customers of the agency **that are known to me as such**".

Otherwise the agency could have sued me for trying to acquire a company as a direct customer, even though I was not aware that it was one of the agency's customers (for example because it only works with the agency in a language pair that I do not cover).

HTH

Alison

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:36
English to Tamil
+ ...
I understand what Alisom means Feb 11, 2005

I told my agency that they should tell me specifically as to who their clients are and then only I can refrain from offering work to them. This however required a sort of compensation to be paid to me for not competing with them. Naturally the agency could not agree. I then told them that the matter should not be touched upon. I never signed any agreement and the agency continued giving me work. My advice will be: do your own work and let the agency do its own. There is no need to allow yourself to be manipulated by anyone.

As a freelancer I am on the lookout for new clients and at such times I cannot be bothered with such restraining clauses.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

annaba
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You :-) Feb 11, 2005

Dear collegues, lots of thanks to *all of you* for giving your opinion. It was particularly important for me to know if such a clause is "normal" (particularly to Alison, thank you for the tip, I'll even do so!).
Well, now I know that I'm going to subscribe - I don't want to risk loosing them...
Thank you again!
Anna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Contract with Agency: asking your advice!

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs