Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:14
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 18, 2005

Hi.

A potential client has asked me if I am licensed and bonded. Does anyone have any idea which direction to point me in for further information on this? I'm in the US.

Thanks.
Sandra

Direct link Reply with quote

James Calder  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:14
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I think I have the answer for you Feb 18, 2005

Sandra Alboum wrote:

Hi.

A potential client has asked me if I am licensed and bonded. Does anyone have any idea which direction to point me in for further information on this? I'm in the US.

Thanks.
Sandra

Hi Sandra,

This webpage tells you what is meant by "licensed and bonded":

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/6040/cp06.htm

From what I can gather "licensed" means obtaining a contractor's business license and "bonded" means showing proof of a bond issued by a surety company. If you call your local business licence office, they should be able to help you out.

Regards

James

[Edited at 2005-02-18 17:23]

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Licensed and bonded Feb 18, 2005

Hi Sandra,

Is this an American client who asked you that? I've never heard of that in connection with translators/translation companies. The only thing I know of would be an "errors and omissions" insurance. You can get some info on the ATA website (www.atanet.org).

HTH,

Trudy

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
same here... Feb 19, 2005

Trudy Peters wrote:
Hi Sandra,

Is this an American client who asked you that? I've never heard of that in connection with translators/translation companies. The only thing I know of would be an "errors and omissions" insurance. You can get some info on the ATA website (www.atanet.org).

HTH,

Trudy

I have only ever heard of "licensed and bonded" in the context of construction/moving/cleaning/etc. contractors. Your client may not be familiar with the translation field, the closest I can relate this to would be professional liability insurance.

Luck

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator EN-ES
sgalilea@ispwest.com
www.accentonspanish.com

not like liability insurance or performance bond Apr 11, 2005

Sorry, didn't see this post till now. Any bond is a promise given to you (the principal) by a surety for the benefit of your prospective client as possible third-part beneficiary of the promise. The promise is not intended to protect you, like insurance is, but the third-party beneficiary (the "obligee", the client) in the event of your performance default.
License and permit bonds are required by state law or local regulations in order to obtain a license or permit to engage in a particular business. So, it would only be relevant to translators in the U.S. if we had to licensed (and bonded). We don't have to be. Anywhere. This is not a performance bond. Thus, it is not anything like errors-and-omissions insurance or "malpractice" insurance either in intent or structure.

Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
End of Story Apr 11, 2005

Hi there.

Well, end of story was that she wanted E&O insurance, and I went ahead and got it through the ATA. But she also felt guilty about being the only person who had ever asked me for something of the sort, so she offered to pay half of my premium!

Not bad, not bad.

Sandra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Licensed and Bonded

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs