Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Ask for guarantees when doing a translation test?
Thread poster: Juan Pablo Sans
Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 19:16
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Translation = creative job Feb 16, 2016

Dan Lucas wrote:

Bartkowska wrote:
First of all, I simply don't understand why I should work for free. I wouldn't go to a mechanic and ask him to change the oil in my car for free (it should take around the same amount of time as translating 300 words) and then I would maybe come back in the future to let him do more complex work on my car.

No, but I would - and have - taken an old 4x4 to my local mechanic, already knowing what the problem was, and asked him what he thought. In this specific case he popped the hood and listened to the engine for a few seconds and diagnosed (correctly, I thought) that the fanbelt pulley bearing needed replacing.

That was enough to get him the job. He could have refused to give me his opinion, but he chose to go along. Now he gets all my business.

I agree that these free tests should not be paid unconditionally, nor should agencies demand them as their right, but I think there's room for free tests in the industry. (Well, clearly there is!)

Regards
Dan

While translating, you are creating a piece. Try asking someone to create something for you for free as a sample (a cake, a haircut, a painting, etc). I think the analogy/comparison is out of place. Actually what you said should rather be compared with me just looking at the source text checking the subject-matter and estimating the time to complete it (I don't normally charge for that one).

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:16
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
For those who don't want to spend much of their time Feb 16, 2016

Crystallize the text structure! Show your client how you can translate the key phrases, not just the whole sentences or the whole test piece, and perhaps provide back-translation.
Show them that it's all about the "fanbelt pulley bearing" needing replacement.
That way you should avoid getting a vague response regarding the quality of your translation.

[Edited at 2016-02-16 06:38 GMT]

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:16
English to German
You are probably right Feb 16, 2016

jyuan_us wrote:

juanpablosans wrote:

Seriously, I am just asking how I could do to avoid situations in which I agencies asked you a free sample, and they don't respond anymore after receiving your test. I think that, at least by saying that, you are showing them your time is valuable and that you don't want to be doing free samples every time and you can agree on certain conditions if they want your time for free.

The other option I have found is to send them samples from previous projects and tell them: this is something I delivered this year! Please use it as a reference.

Cheers

Option 1: Doing it; Option 2: refusing to do it.

Anything in between is not realistic.

Agencies have their systems, and trying to negotiate and fuss with the first steps of their procedures probably makes you appear awkward and hard work, and they wouldn't want to work with you anyway.

I remember once telling an agency that I cannot accept more than 300 words as a a test ... they sent almost 400 with the words "I hope that's all right". I repeated that I cannot do more than 300 words for free, they agreed and I did only 300 words of that test piece, but I never heard from them again.

Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Job interviews Feb 17, 2016

If you are an employee, applying for jobs - you take time going to interviews, maybe buying a new suit, researching the company... and sometimes you don't get the job. It is highly unlikely that you would be able to ask the company to refund your travelling costs, time etc.

This is how I view translation tests - if they are for a new agency, i'll do them for free as they are part of the job application process.

However, if they are for an established agency which is bid
... See more
If you are an employee, applying for jobs - you take time going to interviews, maybe buying a new suit, researching the company... and sometimes you don't get the job. It is highly unlikely that you would be able to ask the company to refund your travelling costs, time etc.

This is how I view translation tests - if they are for a new agency, i'll do them for free as they are part of the job application process.

However, if they are for an established agency which is bidding for a new end client, the majority of my agencies pay me for these specific tests as they already know the quality of my work.
Collapse

Juan Pablo Sans
Juan Pablo Sans  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please elaborate Feb 17, 2016

Radian Yazynin wrote:

Crystallize the text structure! Show your client how you can translate the key phrases, not just the whole sentences or the whole test piece, and perhaps provide back-translation.
Show them that it's all about the "fanbelt pulley bearing" needing replacement.
That way you should avoid getting a vague response regarding the quality of your translation.

[Edited at 2016-02-16 06:38 GMT]

That one is interesting. Can you please elaborate?

Juan Pablo Sans
Juan Pablo Sans  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Their time is valuable, yours, not so much, apparently... Feb 17, 2016

Anything in between is not realistic. [/quote]

Agencies have their systems, and trying to negotiate and fuss with the first steps of their procedures probably makes you appear awkward and hard work, and they wouldn't want to work with you anyway.

I remember once telling an agency that I cannot accept more than 300 words as a a test ... they sent almost 400 with the words "I hope that's all right". I repeate
... See more

Anything in between is not realistic. [/quote]

I remember once telling an agency that I cannot accept more than 300 words as a a test ... they sent almost 400 with the words "I hope that's all right". I repeated that I cannot do more than 300 words for free, they agreed and I did only 300 words of that test piece, but I never heard from them again. [/quote]

That has also happened to me. Seriously, it is as if their time is way more valuable than yours, always.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask for guarantees when doing a translation test?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »