Mobile menu

Off topic: Certified Translation
Thread poster: karrol
karrol
Local time: 03:19
Chinese to English
+ ...
Mar 2, 2005

Thank you for the replies to my previous question.

Now I have learnt that a Sworn translator has to SEE the original document (e.g. the school diploma) before he/she can make the certified translation. Now my question is, can the sworn translator see the SCANNED file (sent via email) of the original document, because I do not want to "surrender" my original school diploma.

Thanks again.

Direct link Reply with quote

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 21:19
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
In Germany they can..... Mar 2, 2005

Carol Chung wrote:

Thank you for the replies to my previous question.

Now I have learnt that a Sworn translator has to SEE the original document (e.g. the school diploma) before he/she can make the certified translation. Now my question is, can the sworn translator see the SCANNED file (sent via email) of the original document, because I do not want to "surrender" my original school diploma.

Thanks again.

In Germany, sworn translators can create a sworn translation bassed on a scanned version, but they have to state that the translation was prepared on the basis of the scanned version of the document in their certification note. (i.e., as opposed to stating that the translationw as prepared on the basis of the original document).

Best to check with whoever it is that you need the translation for as to exactly what they need.

HTH

Alison

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certified Translation

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs