Mobile menu

Agency's Business Courtesy
Thread poster: Mark Xiang

Mark Xiang
Local time: 12:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 24, 2005

I am a little bewildered with some agency's behavior.

I was often contacted by some agencies before, saying that they got my backgroud information from some sources and were very interested in establishing business cooperation relationship with me for some immediate on-hand projects. So I sent them the signed NDA, my rate proposals, etc. as requested. After quite a few email exchanges and settling up all the required issues, they just disapeared. No further reply, no notice about their project progress after I sent emails asking about their project status and their decisions.

My question is whether a translator is entitled for a reply from the agencies on their project status and their final decision after he has spent quite some time and engergy and gone through all the procedures as requested?

Or if it is justified for the agencies to get hit-and-run?

Mark

[Edited at 2005-03-24 15:01]

Direct link Reply with quote

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 05:58
English to Dutch
+ ...
Some people will never learn Mar 24, 2005

Mark Xiang wrote:

I am a little bewildered with some agency's behavior.

I was often contacted by some agencies before, saying that they got my backgroud information from some sources and were very interested in establishing business cooperation relationship with me for some immediate on-hand projects. So I sent them the signed NDA, my rate proposals, etc. as requested. After quite a few email exchanges and settling up all the required issues, they just disapeared. No further reply, no notice about their project progress after I sent emails asking about their project status and their decisions.

My question is whether a translator is entitled for a reply from the agencies on the their project status and their final decision after he has spent quite some time and engergy and gone through all the procedures as requested?

Or if it is justified for the agencies to get hit-and-run?

Mark

The day before yesterday I received an inquiry from a well established agency asking if I was available to help them out with a legal translation.
I immediately replied I was...
When I informed about this 'urgent' job the next day, I received the following reply and I quote:

" sorry I told you yesterday that job placed, next time thanks".

That's it. Not bad, coming from an agency based in London.
As if there will be a next time (from my side).

FYI: This person never called me nor did he send me any reply.

In short, some people never learn and some companies grow too fast and can't handle the workload anymore. They then start being sloppy and impolite and ...down the hill they'll go.

But watch it, you now spent quite some time in filling out/in the required paperwork.
It may well be that you'll receive work from them in the near future. Don't expect things to come overnight.
And don't inquire too often about it. You don't need to cause too many nervous smirks either.

Good luck!

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
Sometimes things take time... Mar 24, 2005

Things sometimes just take time to get rolling. As it happens, two different agencies for whom I provided info and tested around 8 months ago just in the last week got around to giving me my first assignments.

Now it may well be that I was somewhere near the bottom of their list of translators to call, and that only this week for the first time were their 'main' translators otherwise occupied--it's business report season in Germany, so there's lots of business to go around--but either way, they were happy with my work and I believe will be more likely to call me down the road.

So yes, sometimes the hit-and-runs do pan out, even with silence in between.

Good luck!

Steven

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:58
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
It often takes time. Mar 24, 2005

Hi Mark,

It often takes time for them to give you a response. At times agencies anticipate work, contact you and then the work does not pan out, so you do not hear back from them. Most of the time, they do not let you know that they did not get the job.They should, but they just don't.

Sometimes you get a reply after a really long time. For example, about a year and a half (or perhaps even a bit longer) ago, I did a test for a company seeking long-term cooperation for a large project. I completed the test, emailed it back, they acknowledged receipt, expressed satisfaction with the test and promised to get back with me. I did not hear anything for a long time and forgot about it.

Then they finally contacted me (they did mention that it was a long time ago and that I had most likely forgotten about them).
This is what had happened: The client took time to sign a contract with them. Well, no harm and definitely no foul. They are currently my best client with steady, very interesting work and the promise of continued work. Prompt payers too.

So, although some do not reply at all, others only get back to you after quite a while.

So hang in there. Remain optimistic and do not let it get you down.

Good luck!
Lucinda

Mark Xiang
Local time: 12:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Everybody, Thanks to all of you for your input and enlightenment! Mar 24, 2005

But what I am talking about is in the case that the agencies said they had active, or on-hand projects. They asked me to work on the existing projects they had won, not just collected information for their database. I just hoped they keep me informed even if they had decided to give the jobs to others at the end because it was they who chose to contact me at the beginning.

Mark

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Happens very often Mar 24, 2005

Mark Xiang wrote:

But what I am talking about is in the case that the agencies said they had active, or on-hand projects. They asked me to work on the existing projects they had won, not just collected information for their database. I just hoped they keep me informed even if they had decided to give the jobs to others at the end because it was they who chose to contact me at the beginning.

Mark

The reasons may be bountiful.
Client didn't sign yet, or decided not to sign after all. Or suddenly postponed a project.
Or someone else showed up. Or you were tricked into sending paperwork, so that your CV may be used by clients trying to win a contract. Or they decided you were too expensive after all. Or too cheap
Who knows?

But you're right in saying that a reply would be in place.

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
It happens, even here Mar 24, 2005

I have won bids here, and sometimes the outsourcer simply dissapears. Yes, I could call them, but what for? Perhaps the client also dissapeared for them, there is a delay, who knows?

Just keep going.

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 07:58
English to Russian
A practical point Mar 24, 2005

Mark Xiang wrote: My question is whether a translator is entitled for a reply from the agencies on their project status and their final decision after he has spent quite some time and energy and gone through all the procedures as requested?

Mark, your situation is known to nearly every freelancer. I've been going through a kinda same stuff yesterday: client booked my time (3 days, interpreting) and disappeared. I just switched to another client (I stopped making and burning Voodoo dolls long ago) with a small job, and then the guy re-emerged from obscurity! It's a large company, never hired a freelancer before, they do not know how jumpy we may become. The good thing here is to keep calm in either outcome.

Now, what if it is obvious that the agency lacks rudimentary manners? I have a web page and receive job inquiries from fellow translators in all imaginable language pairs. I reply to every single one and say that I am a freelancer myself, that they should not waste their money on mailing lists and so on. I consider it a must. If it is evident that an agency intentionally drops communication with a freelancer without a comment or an excuse, this should be made public on the Blue Board which, in its current, the so-called 'redesigned' shape is a collection of likes and dislikes, just like the walls of a junior classes' loo at an average school.

An agency's and a freelancer's reputation is a mosaic. There are perfect ones I suspect, but I would not mind to play a jigsaw with a few pieces missing, if I only know exactly which of them are are not there: marginal or central ones. And this would encourage improvement of business conduct too, I hope.

Stay well and move on!
Alex

P.S. Henry promised me that once I make 2471 posts on this issue he will consider a change in BB format.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency's Business Courtesy

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs