https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/30771-how_many_translation_projects_you_get_every_year_from_proz.html

How many translation projects you get every year from Proz?
Thread poster: lawrance Shaw
lawrance Shaw
lawrance Shaw
Local time: 16:15
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 26, 2005

Hi

I am a newbie of using Proz to find translation jobs. I wonder how many translation projects you can get every year from Proz.

To my knowledge, there are too few jobs for a full-time freelance translator in Proz, at least for my language pair. Apart from Proz, are there any other ways that I can find translation job?

Rgds
Lawrance

Beth Dennison
Beth Dennison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:15
Chinese to English
+ ...
Market yourself... Mar 26, 2005

lawrance Shaw wrote:

Hi

I am a newbie of using Proz to find translation jobs. I wonder how many translation projects you can get every year from Proz.

To my knowledge, there are too few jobs for a full-time freelance translator in Proz, at least for my language pair. Apart from Proz, are there any other ways that I can find translation job?

Rgds
Lawrance

Lawrance,

Whilst you can get work through Proz, you will not be able to rely on this for all of your income.

I have one regular client I gained through Proz, and have maybe had three or four other small jobs through Proz in the past year. The vast majority of my work comes from agencies I sent my details to. I started out as a freelancer around 18 months ago. To start with, things moved slowly, but after around 5 or 6 months I found that I had more than enough work, and have even had to outsource on occasions.

I suggest that you send your details to as many agencies as possible, and also advertise in local telephone directories etc. You may also wish to consider your own website, if you have not got one already.

Good luck!

Beth

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:15
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I don't know, but... Mar 26, 2005

Although I didn't start at the same time, I agree with what Beth says. Given competence, it is surprising how much work you can get from a relatively small number of agencies (just 10 to 15, or even less).

I have been virtually fully booked since Christmas and have also either refused, outsourced or simply given referrals to friends who I know are competent.

I am also listed elsewhere on tne Net and make a point of asking people who approach me for the first time how t
... See more
Although I didn't start at the same time, I agree with what Beth says. Given competence, it is surprising how much work you can get from a relatively small number of agencies (just 10 to 15, or even less).

I have been virtually fully booked since Christmas and have also either refused, outsourced or simply given referrals to friends who I know are competent.

I am also listed elsewhere on tne Net and make a point of asking people who approach me for the first time how they found me. Unfortunately, many say "on the Internet", but cannot remember where. Of those that do remember, more and more seem to mention Proz.

I don't know how long you have been in business, but you might find the getting established forum www.proz.com/forum/15 useful.

Follow Beth's advice and good luck

Chris

[Edited at 2005-03-26 14:56]
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:15
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
It is quite easy to get new customers through Proz Mar 27, 2005

Replying to the job advertisements on Proz is quite an easy way to get new customers, who come back regularly.

Firstly, however, you must be the person who gets the job. You will get the job by answering the right requests, the ones that seem meant for you.

Secondly, the customers you gain will be agencies, or other translators who are temporarily overloaded. These can provide a useful part of your income at the beginning, but you should undertake marketing efforts, a
... See more
Replying to the job advertisements on Proz is quite an easy way to get new customers, who come back regularly.

Firstly, however, you must be the person who gets the job. You will get the job by answering the right requests, the ones that seem meant for you.

Secondly, the customers you gain will be agencies, or other translators who are temporarily overloaded. These can provide a useful part of your income at the beginning, but you should undertake marketing efforts, at the same time, in order to find new end customers. Remember that translation agencies and other translators cannot pay you as much. To be paid the full amount for the work that you do, you need to work primarily with end customers.

To find end customers, choose an industry that is relevant to your experience of terminology, and then look up those companies in the telephone directory, or on the pages of relevant trade organisations on the Internet, and write to them all (local ones preferably by using the regular mail). It will take time before you obtain their custom, of course.

Good luck, and Happy Easter!

Astrid
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many translation projects you get every year from Proz?

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »