Analysis of source files: whose TM should be used?
Thread poster: Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:35
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 8, 2005

I am working on a project, for which there was no TM supplied. Now a client has announced that a new part of the project (not mentioned in the PO) is coming and the wordcount of fuzzy matches will be calculated against the TM I created while working on current assignment.
I personally think that there is something wrong with such approach, but can anyone explain: may be this is normal practice (for those who at all accept rating on the basis of fuzzy matches)?

(Not sure about
... See more
I am working on a project, for which there was no TM supplied. Now a client has announced that a new part of the project (not mentioned in the PO) is coming and the wordcount of fuzzy matches will be calculated against the TM I created while working on current assignment.
I personally think that there is something wrong with such approach, but can anyone explain: may be this is normal practice (for those who at all accept rating on the basis of fuzzy matches)?

(Not sure about the forum to post this topic, but since it's about rates/payment I've chosen this one).

[Edited at 2005-04-08 10:42]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Tis quite normal, I think Apr 8, 2005

Natalya Zelikova wrote:

Personally I think this is not unfair. After all, the client might just as well have aligned your translation with their original source document and created a TM for you to use.

If you really feel strongly about this, and if creating a TM was not part of the original job description, and if using CAT wasn't either, then you could demand that they provide the TM on which the discounts have been calculated... but you may lose a client.

mk_lab
mk_lab  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 04:35
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Quite regular practice Apr 8, 2005

The most of customers use TMs for these purposes. Just try to quote your discount rates not too high.

esoft
esoft
Canada
Local time: 21:35
Italian to English
it's advisable to clear these issues before accepting the job Apr 8, 2005

I hope that I understand your issue correctly -

After delivering a translation, your client expected a rate change according to matches; although, the client did not provide a translation memory.

I think this type of issue has to be clarified before accepting the job or the translator.

I do not expect changes in calculation after the job is accepted.

Prior to accepting a job, I request to know how they will count the text, with which tool, an
... See more
I hope that I understand your issue correctly -

After delivering a translation, your client expected a rate change according to matches; although, the client did not provide a translation memory.

I think this type of issue has to be clarified before accepting the job or the translator.

I do not expect changes in calculation after the job is accepted.

Prior to accepting a job, I request to know how they will count the text, with which tool, and whether they will calculate count on source or target language. In addition, after I receive the client report, I also provide my report to ensure that we are both on the same page....

If the client is using Trados or something like wordfast, I expect rates for different matches and validate/discuss them. Instead, if the client is not using a translation tool, I expect to use a word processor count like MS Word - inaccurate as it may be perceived.

I think that you still have some leverage here - although you may have not been proactive in clarifying this aspect of the job - the client did not provide translation memory, so you provided rates accordingly. At the same time, the client might still not want to pay full rate for matches that they think do not require translation. However, I think that from a collaborative point of view if you can give a little, they may give a little. Also, I have found agencies that charge the client a small fee for providing a translation memory so this could be a way for you to make up the difference...

Good luck
Antonella
Collapse

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
English to Russian
Penalise/Pretranslate Apr 8, 2005

Hi, Natalia

1. The client should be given a discount for the TUs he paid you for once, but not for all the fuzzy matches from your TM.

2. Maintaining a lot clent-specific TMs is a royal PITA.

3. Therefore, you should analyse with 100% penalties for all cliants in the TM but the one you're doing the job for, or better still ask him to pretranslate the files.

Once more - the TM is yours, client specific TUs are the client's.

Good luc
... See more
Hi, Natalia

1. The client should be given a discount for the TUs he paid you for once, but not for all the fuzzy matches from your TM.

2. Maintaining a lot clent-specific TMs is a royal PITA.

3. Therefore, you should analyse with 100% penalties for all cliants in the TM but the one you're doing the job for, or better still ask him to pretranslate the files.

Once more - the TM is yours, client specific TUs are the client's.

Good luck!
Aleksandr
Collapse

Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Apr 8, 2005

I'll try to clarify some things, as I think they were not clear from my first posting:

- Everything was clarifyed from the very beginning: rates per repetitions and new words. I just couldn't foresee, that the results of my work will become the basis for reduction of my rates. I had PO for the first (with word counts and rates) and knew that the next order is possible.

- I know that many clients use TMs for paying less for different fuzzy matches, and I don't mind that
... See more
I'll try to clarify some things, as I think they were not clear from my first posting:

- Everything was clarifyed from the very beginning: rates per repetitions and new words. I just couldn't foresee, that the results of my work will become the basis for reduction of my rates. I had PO for the first (with word counts and rates) and knew that the next order is possible.

- I know that many clients use TMs for paying less for different fuzzy matches, and I don't mind that as long as they provide some TM for this. But it looks strange when let's say every subsequent chapter is evaluated as "less difficult" only because I have already done some part of the job.

Anyway thank you all for your inputs.
Collapse

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
English to Russian
Check this out, you're not the first one to muze about it Apr 8, 2005

And definitely, not the last one.

http://www.proz.com/topic/28985

TM reduces rates and increases productivity.

Set yourself time-based rates and offer fuzzy discounts you can afford.

HTH
Aleksandr

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
They are changing the rules, you change your rates... Apr 9, 2005

The client is always right, you know. If they want to count fuzzy matches, then give them fuzzy matches. But first increase your rates accordingly - if the client protests, tell them that they themselves changed the agreement in the first place.

Of course the client might try to find another translator, but they would have to pay the full rates to the new translator, unless they already got your TM, that is.

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:35
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Analysis of source files: whose TM should be used? Apr 9, 2005

Hi Natalya,

I happen to know exactly which client you are talking about. What was driving me up the wall was the fact that the work load was constantly changing without prior notice. Did not you get a couple of documents for translation to squeeze between your main translation and still was expected to deliver the main translation in time?
I actually agreed to do only an X number of words so the TM (draft) I was asked to deliver was for somebody else. What must be frustrating
... See more
Hi Natalya,

I happen to know exactly which client you are talking about. What was driving me up the wall was the fact that the work load was constantly changing without prior notice. Did not you get a couple of documents for translation to squeeze between your main translation and still was expected to deliver the main translation in time?
I actually agreed to do only an X number of words so the TM (draft) I was asked to deliver was for somebody else. What must be frustrating for the other translator is the fact that it is only a working form of TM, with spelling mistakes and odd wrong term in the beginning as I proofread the whole job in the very end.
Still, you probably already know the rule:
A. The client is always right.
B. If for some reason it is not true, see article A.

Good luck!
Burrell

[Edited at 2005-04-09 09:55]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Analysis of source files: whose TM should be used?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »