Mobile menu

What are the normal penalties for a Machine Translated TM?
Thread poster: Aleksandr Okunev
Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 12:10
English to Russian
Apr 17, 2005

A client offers a job with a TM which is of very poor quality: I thoroughly analyzed 12 consecutive TUs (a minimum statistical sample) and each of them contains either an terminology error or an error in style or sentence structure or a combination of the above. The rest of the TM is about the same. It looks like a good machine translation or a very bad human translation by a non-native. The job is very big, therefore this issue affects two aspects of this project:
1) payment - all 100% matches need editing, let alone fuzzies;
2) turnaround estimates - my expected turnaround is quite high and can be achieved only if the TM is perfect - I don't want to miss the deadline.

The TM, as the client says, has been aligned from a corpus of previous translations, thus, considering the amount of effort put into it, it is not quite logical to ask the client not to use it at all. I am thinking of proposing the client to apply penalties during analysis, to adjust the rates and turnaround, but I do not know the generally accepted penalty applied to machine translated TMs. I even doubt if I should go for it at all, since the client is a bit unrealistic about it. I am considering this, instead of declining the job, because I have good previous experience with the client (a few small jobs) and this job is large and my specialty field.

Please, advise what penalty percentage is fair for a machine translated TM.

Thank you for your attention
Stay well

Direct link Reply with quote

Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:10
Member (2002)
English to German
Machine translated TM equals no TM Apr 17, 2005

There are no fixed rules of course but if the TM only consists of machine translations it doesn't help at all in my opinion.

I'd let the client know immediately and tell him that your prices and turnaround are just the same as without a TM. You have to grant him the option of cancelling this job, of course, so it's his choice to move on or not.

Good luck

English to French
+ ...
MT is virtually worthless Apr 17, 2005

But to give you a figure, let's say a 60% penalty. It's up to you to decide whether you give a discount for 40% matches. (I don't, and I've never been asked to.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the normal penalties for a Machine Translated TM?

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs