Thread poster: Graciela Carlyle

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 4, 2005

Hi everyone,

I've been asked to provide a quotation for analysing names of products for suitability in the target country.
I've done this before on a single name basis (per hour), not for a set of names, so I'm not sure how to calculate the time it might take.
I mean, if you have 7 names you could spend 5 minutes with one and an hour with another, or 15 minutes with all or one hour each!!

Has anyone got any idea of what would be a fair way of quoting for this?

Thanks!!
Grace.

Direct link Reply with quote

PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:30
English to Polish
+ ...
Lump sum? May 4, 2005

I have no experience in this particular type of work, but I would consider a lump sum contract.

Have a look at the list and estimate how long it will take you to do it, then quote a price satisfactory to all.

Sometimes I find that sticking religiously to one's rates gives strange results - outrageously expensive or dirt cheap.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

Giuliana Criscuolo-Bruce
English to Italian
+ ...
Client's budget May 4, 2005

I think in the end it will depend on the client's budget. I tend to ask how many hours I am allowed to spend on the job, and then price accordingly, leaving myself a little margin in case I go over the allocated time. You will find that agencies/clients already have a good idea of how much they want to spend... Usually it works out, and it is quite fun to do.

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 4, 2005

Thanks for your input.
I completely agree with both.

First thing is that I can't know how long it will take until I see it, so that's what I told them.
I gave an estimate of my hourly rate for this type of job and a rough average calculation of how long it might take, with the proviso that I NEED to see the material before any confirmation.
(btw, the client doesn't seem to know much either, so I guess they must be just wanting to have an idea for now).

Cheers,
Grace.

Mark Xiang
Local time: 08:30
English to Chinese
+ ...
This is a quite simple job, as long as you know their requirements. May 4, 2005

But it will take you some time to get to know the job's characteristics with the first one.

It is usually charged by the hour. I have done some jobs on this subject. Time allowed for one job with 3 names was 1 hour, while for another job with 6 names the agency also took it as 1 hour's job. So it varis from one project to another.

Mark

Louise Dupont  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:30
English to French
Did 2 projects... May 4, 2005

Hello I did 2 projects like this and the client offered $50 USD for 5 names. I had to find out a few things about the names:
Prononciation in target language(easy or not), ressemblance with other words or brand name in the target language (describe the word or brand and what they mean), see if the word was offensive in my language...

Easy, short and fun project. Took me 30 minutes.

Good luck!

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:30
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I usually charge a lump sum for the whole job! May 4, 2005

I have done this several times for clients with the Surinamese market as the target. I ask to see the job before committing on the price and then estimate how long it would take and what my fee would be for the whole job.

As someone said, it is a fun job and does not take too long with a reasonable amount of words.

Good luck and have fun!
Lucinda

Cecilia Vela Segovia-Frund, CT  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:30
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Experience with long lists of pharmaceutical names May 4, 2005

Graciela,

I've done this job for the pharmaceutical industry (English into Spanish) with lists including an average of 70 proposed names for a certain product (one product per list).

I had to complete all the cells of a worksheet following detailed instructions. Once you learned the instructions it was easy enough and you could speed up nicely.

The typical 70-term list included some 10 different radical terms with lots of variations. Frequently, the reason that disqualified the radical (i.e. inclusion of the syllables "pe-ne") also disqualified the related terms, which made them easier to analyze.

I had some ten boxes to complete for each term, but the three ones related to embedded acronyms were nearly always void, as it is a cultural feature of Spanish to use acronyms very sparsely.

As a conclusion, I completed the analysis in 2 or 3 hours, and I was paid a flat rate that represented some USD 40 per hour. It was entertaining, but you had to think very hard!

If you have to work with a few names of different products or if you are not given guidelines for the analysis, assignments may be more time demanding.

Please contact me if you need any more information.

Muchos saludos,

Cecilia Vela Segovia-Frund

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
very useful info May 4, 2005

Thanks for the useful info!
I'll be coming back if this goes ahead.
I would definitely not give any definite quotation before evaluating the actual material (I never do).
For now it seems more as if it's a potential job even for the client.
So, we'll see...

Stay well,
Grace

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 19:30
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

I've been doing this for years May 4, 2005

and it's a nice break from grammar & syntax

It's more of a 'gut' thing- do you react positively or negatively to the name? Why? Manufacturers competing for shelf space in retail stores want brand names that make their products stand out, but needless to say they don't want to give their product a name which in another language means something entirely different, maybe even something offensive or vulgar.

They also don't want their brand name to be similar to another name already on the local market.

It isn't difficult; you are a consumer, after all, and I think they tend to prefer women for this type of thing (nobody get mad, now; it's just that in most nuclear families Mummy does the majority of the shopping. That give us power!) This isn't politically incorrect; it's just a fact of life.:-)

I usually charge a lump sum, around $50, because this sort of thing rarely exceeds 12-14 terms. As you say, Graciela, it is wise to see the project first or at least determine the nature of it.

Let us know how things turn out!

Nancy

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Basic of thorough analysis? May 5, 2005

Graciela Carlyle wrote:
I've been asked to provide a quotation for analysing names of products for suitability in the target country.

Well, if you simply have to read the word and think aloud about whether it may or may not be appropriate, then it's 15 minutes per word (including typing time). But if you need to actually check your country's lists of trade names for possible overlaps, then it can take much longer per word.

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
exactly May 5, 2005

Samuel Murray wrote:
Well, if you simply have to read the word and think aloud about whether it may or may not be appropriate, then it's 15 minutes per word (including typing time). But if you need to actually check your country's lists of trade names for possible overlaps, then it can take much longer per word.

This was my main concern (see my first post). According to the general request I was sent, there would be some research and several items to consider and report about. So then again, we go back to step one...I need to see the actual product names to evaluate if it can be done in a few minutes or if it'll take hours.

Nancy,
I also thought of the 'gut' feeling when weeing a name. I know several cases that manufacturers have gotten it soooooo wrong with names for the Spanish market! Some are even obscene!!
Oh well...

G.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

analysing names of products

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs