Thread poster: Ivana de Sousa Santos

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:12
French to Portuguese
+ ...
May 9, 2005

Hello everybody!

I finally decided to denounce one of my clients, who hasn't paid me for a 25000 words proofreading I made for him in October 2004. My client (or ex-client, it's better) claims that his client has disappeared and that he can't pay me the money for my proofreading.

I got in touch with the guy who did the translation I proofread to see if his situation was like mine, and indeed it was.

Thus, we agreed to denounce him in several sites, like the Blue Board at proZ. We want as much lists as possible.

I also heard about "Transpayment". I already signed up, but I can't find the right link to access the list. Can anyone help me with "Transpayment"?

[...edited...]

Where else can we denounce a client who didn't pay for our job?

Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions.
Ivana

Direct link Reply with quote

Valentina_D  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:12
English to Italian
+ ...
.. May 9, 2005

Hi,

in case you don't know Ted Wozniak's payment practise list, here is the link:

http://www.trwenterprises.com/payment_practices.htm

You can subscribe to the group and post and reply to inquiries about agencies' payment practises.
I find it very useful in general, apart from your specific situation.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2005-05-09 17:43]

Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Czech to German
+ ...
Good link May 9, 2005

Hi Ivana,

looking for your Transpayment at google I just happened to find the following link:

http://www.traduzioni-inglese.it/mailing-lists.html

It seems to be a very good collection of various links related to translation, among others also payment. I had no time yet to check it but it looks quite interesting.

Good luck with your ex-client!

Charlotte

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
The ProZ.com Blue Board is *not* a black list May 9, 2005

Hi Ivana,
I can fully understand your feelings (in fact, IIRC we recommended posting an entry on the Blue Board some time ago), but I'm not too happy with your choice of words...

Thus, we agreed to denounce him in several sites, like the Blue Board at proZ.

Please note that the BB is not a black list, nor is its purpose to "denounce" anyone. Feel free to use it in order to exchange information, but please do not use this as a threat.

Best regards,
Ralf

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:12
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe I didn't chose the right words May 9, 2005

Hi Ralf,

First of all, I know that the Blue Board is not a "Black List". When I wrote this part, I wrote "several sites" and ProZ.com will be one of the sites where I will rate this client and his agency.

Although I feel very angry and sad about my situation, all I want to do by "denouncing" this agency is telling that it is not a serious agency, since the owner owes me money since October 2004, and warn people to be careful before working for him. I have read several posts for other agencies in the Blue Board that go in this sens. This particular agency had no post in the Blue Board and, in spite of that, I gave it a try when I agreed to work with it. Other translators will be aware of that, and maybe will choose not to work for this agency. Isn't it the aim of the Blue Board, Ralf? I always look at the Blue Board before working with a company and usually they have good ratings, but if they didn't have, I would not accept the job. It happened to me this week when I was contacted by a company and saw that the recent posts in the BB for this agency weren't good at all.

Yes, my choice of words wasn't probably the better one and I'm sorry for that. I've read "black lists" somewhere and used the words (knowing that the Blue Board is not one) but I was careful enough to put it between commas, since it wasn't exactly what I meant.

My purpose is not to threat anyone; I'm a peaceful woman. I just want people to know this agency before working for it and I hope the agency's owner will pay me because of that posting, as you said before he might. Please, don't take me wrong.

Best regards,
Ivana

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
A new list for payment practices May 10, 2005

Hi,
First of all, I hope you finally get your money!! There is a relatively new Italian-based Yahoo group on payment practices. The common thread here is Italian, but members translate an enormous range of languages!
Here is the homepage of the group, called Checklist.
http://it.groups.yahoo.com/group/the-checklist/
Good luck!!
Catherine

BlueTalis
English to German
+ ...
German List May 10, 2005

Hi,

http://de.groups.yahoo.com/group/zahlungspraxis/ is the address of a similar German list. I always use this list before I start working for a new client. Just to make sure.

Good luck for you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Black lists" names

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs