Thread poster: Burrell

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:12
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
May 11, 2005

I could not find a forum that would fit my question, so picked this one, moderators are welcome to move it.
Ever since the option to see the log of visitors checking our Proz profiles was introduced, I have kept an eye on the list. And noticed a really strange thing - there is an individual, seems like a freelancer from USA, who has visited my profile 21 times. It seemed so strange to me. I am not paranoid here, rather curious. Has anybody else had multiply visits from other colleagues? Why on earth would somebody want to visit a single profile page 21 times?

Thanks,
Burrell

Direct link Reply with quote

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:12
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Profile as entry point to Qs and As May 11, 2005

Burrell wrote:Has anybody else had multiply visits from other colleagues? Why on earth would somebody want to visit a single profile page 21 times?

I'm a candidate to appear several times in a profiles log - it's an easy entry point to access the list of questions and answers by a person. Or to check whether someone who doesn't use umlauts in questions from EN to DE reports to work into German.

This thread will cause more profile visits, I take it

xxxsergey
Russian to English
+ ...
how come i don't have this facility? May 11, 2005

Burrell wrote:
Ever since the option to see the log of visitors checking our Proz profiles was introduced, I have kept an eye on the list. And noticed a really strange thing -

couldn't find it on my profile.
that would allow me to see the log of visitors and trace their origin?
i only have the counter that i placed myself some time ago.

may be i should be paranoid too.

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Visitors login : Platinum feature May 11, 2005

Hi Sergey,

FYI: This is a platinum feature only.

Full info at: http://www.proz.com/plat/

Best,

Evert Deloof-Sys

Anabel Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
only for Plats May 11, 2005

sergey wrote:

couldn't find it on my profile.
that would allow me to see the log of visitors and trace their origin?
i only have the counter that i placed myself some time ago.

may be i should be paranoid too.

That's a feature only for Platinums, at the moment

Cheers,

Anabel

Larissa Dinsley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
Hi Burrell May 11, 2005

Burrell wrote:

And noticed a really strange thing - there is an individual, seems like a freelancer from USA, who has visited my profile 21 times. It seemed so strange to me. I am not paranoid here, rather curious. Has anybody else had multiply visits from other colleagues? Why on earth would somebody want to visit a single profile page 21 times?

Thanks,
Burrell

I have noticed the same thing recently but in my case it is a Not Logged In person from the UK. (Does Not Logged In mean a guest or a freelancer who has not bothered to log in?)

I think it must be a bug and they are in fact different 21 visits by different people.

It would be nice though to get more information regarding what it all means. Eg., I do not quite understand what "came from index" or "direct link" mean. Also, sometimes I get a site from where the visitor came, mainly Google. Does it mean that my profile has come up after the person made a search on Google - or something else?

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another possibility May 11, 2005

If you've written or replied something interesting in the forums, they might also located your post through the profile. I do this from time to time if I remember the poster rather than the words he used.

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:12
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Don't be paranoid ;-) May 11, 2005

I think this just means that someone investigated your profile in depth, looking at your kudoZ, portfolio, and returing back to your profile after each visit to this or that kudoZ page. It would be much better if the person was an outsourcer, but in some cases you may be outsourced not by an official agency but by one of your fellow-colleagues who is overloaded by work.

Don't be paranoid, anyway. Enjoy the attention which was paid to your profile -- it may mean that the profile worth it!

[Edited at 2005-05-11 11:27]

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
German to French
The same here May 11, 2005

26 visits 2 days ago, and 30 visits yesterday from the same IP;)

I tend to think like Klaus : browsing the kudoz-questions answered or asked can be very time-consuming

Sylvain

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glad I am not alone May 11, 2005

Dear Larissa,

At least I know I am not going mad.

It would be nice though to get more information regarding what it all means. Eg., I do not quite understand what "came from index" or "direct link" mean. Also, sometimes I get a site from where the visitor came, mainly Google. Does it mean that my profile has come up after the person made a search on Google - or something else? [/quote]

Yes, I would also welcome some sort of article or explanation. The idea is great without doubt and would be even better if we could understand who, what and where.

xxxsergey
Russian to English
+ ...
right you are, Evert / Anabel May 11, 2005

Evert DELOOF-SYS wrote:
This is a platinum feature only.

Full info at: http://www.proz.com/plat/

that explains.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You might be right, Klaus May 11, 2005

Yes, Klaus might be right here. As long as I know that there is a possible explanation, I feel much better.
By the way, thanks guys for visiting my profile - quite a few visits all in one day.
Mind you, speaking about strange number of visits. A couple of month ago my Proz profile hit counter was registering an abnormal 40 or so visits a day for two weeks!!!. I would like to believe Kiril but it is not like my language pair is overly popular.
I am not praranoid, honest, just very curious. Who knows, maybe I turn out to be popular!!! (a smiley)(how do you insert smileys, I have never worked it out?).

Cheers,
Burrell

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:12
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Heh :) May 11, 2005

Burrell wrote:
Who knows, maybe I turn out to be popular!!! (a smiley)(how do you insert smileys, I have never worked it out?).

Just type : than ) and you'll have a smiley.

Seriously, yesterday someone visited my profile 38 times, and the day before there was a 23-times visitor. I find it rather pleasant than annoying or intriguing.

xxxtazdog
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
me, too May 11, 2005

I also have a frequent visitor: 24 times so far. I have had a hit counter on my profile for quite a while, so I had noticed that the same IP was visiting every day, then every few days (usually at the same time of day). Mine is a "not logged in" visitor who always arrives via a direct link. Curiouser and curiouser...

I must also confess that there are a few profiles that I've visited several times, mostly to check out the translator's Kudoz answers (sometimes because I admire this person's skills, sometimes for the opposite reason). But I am sure I haven't reached double digits on anyone (yet).

Lindsay Sabadosa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:12
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
That's what that Visitor button is for! May 11, 2005

I must also confess that there are a few profiles that I've visited several times, mostly to check out the translator's Kudoz answers (sometimes because I admire this person's skills, sometimes for the opposite reason). But I am sure I haven't reached double digits on anyone (yet).

I too check out other people's profiles sometimes when I'm intrigued by a Kudoz answer or a forum discussion (or more often than not a BlueBoard posting). I never, ever realized that I could see who was visiting my page though! It's kind of neat when you click on the string of numbers (word for that escapes me at the moment) and you can see where they are located. I wish I knew who they were though!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz Profile being stalked?

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs