Ethical issue: proofreading request
Thread poster: Natalie_Ivanova
Natalie_Ivanova
Natalie_Ivanova  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:14
English to Bulgarian
May 24, 2005

Hi everyone,
What would be the best thing to do if you receive a proofreading request from one of your clients, and it turns out that you have done this translation for another client?
Should you:
1. Decline the job without giving any reason
2. Tell the client requesting the proofreading that it was you who translated the text
3. Let the client who gave you the translation know that you were contacted for the proofreading, without giving the name of the other agency
... See more
Hi everyone,
What would be the best thing to do if you receive a proofreading request from one of your clients, and it turns out that you have done this translation for another client?
Should you:
1. Decline the job without giving any reason
2. Tell the client requesting the proofreading that it was you who translated the text
3. Let the client who gave you the translation know that you were contacted for the proofreading, without giving the name of the other agency?
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
I'd probably do 2 and 3 May 24, 2005

depending on how well I knew the client(s). I'd also check that the version you have is the version you provided. It's my experience that lots of people tend to have their fingers in the pie so maybe the file you have now bears little resemblance to what you produced initially. I'd still come clean with the client offering the job, and possibly with the other one too.
Gillian

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:14
English to Polish
+ ...
There is also the least-friction solution May 24, 2005

I'd give it to someone I cooperate with (and trust) to proofread. This way I won't have to explain it all to the client.

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
if you go for option 1.... May 24, 2005

If you choose to decline, you should give a reason, it is only fair.
It is clearly a small world and if they followed it up, they would probably find out you had translated it anyway.

Orla

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:14
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
I'd go for option 2... May 24, 2005

...then the client can decide whether to insist that you did it anyway (not likely), or thank you and turn to another proofreader (more likely), while making a mental note of your rectitude; he'll probably contact you again for other projects. I would not mention who I did the translation for, though, for confidentiality reasons.

Large end-clients often have more than one vendor, and may indeed - as part of their quality control cycle - have a vendor review the translation that was
... See more
...then the client can decide whether to insist that you did it anyway (not likely), or thank you and turn to another proofreader (more likely), while making a mental note of your rectitude; he'll probably contact you again for other projects. I would not mention who I did the translation for, though, for confidentiality reasons.

Large end-clients often have more than one vendor, and may indeed - as part of their quality control cycle - have a vendor review the translation that was assigned to another of their vendors. Especially for sample chapters at the beginning of a large project.

Roberta

[Edited at 2005-05-24 18:18]
Collapse

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:14
I agree with Roberta... May 24, 2005

Roberta Anderson wrote:

Large end-clients often have more than one vendor, and may indeed - as part of their quality control cycle - have a vendor review the translation that was assigned to another of their vendors. Especially for sample chapters at the beginning of a large project.

Roberta

[Edited at 2005-05-24 18:18]

... entirely.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ethical issue: proofreading request

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »