Mobile menu

Third party invoicing
Thread poster: xxxerudite
xxxerudite
Local time: 13:07
French to English
+ ...
Jun 2, 2005

I would appreciate any advice or comments on the following situation I have found myself in.

I have worked for a certain client several times before with no problems what so ever. They recently proposed a job worth several thousands of pounds. I took the job because I trust the company and know that they always pay regularly.

I was aware that the documents I was translating for them had been produced by my client for a third party. This third party had requested documents from my client in several languages.

I sent invoices off last week. My client has replied that I should invoice their client directly (I have contact details within the documents I have translated).

The reason I agreed to take this job is because I trusted my client to pay promptly as on many previous occasions.

my client is currently away on business. I shall expect to speak with him tommorrow.

I don't want to invoice this third party with whom I have no previous relationship but I don't want to damage the good relationship I have with my own client.

Any thoughts?

Rachel

Direct link Reply with quote

sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:07
English to Russian
+ ...
Work Order? Jun 2, 2005

Dear Rachel,

Did you receive a Work Order or Purchase Order from your client or from the third party? No matter how well I know this or that client or how much I trust this or that company, I always request a Work Order confirming the rates, payment terms, etc. Yes, I can start working with the translation, but never submit it BEFORE I have this WO or PO - this is, besides a contract, the only confirmation of your future payment. If you have nothing like that, is there some email correspondence which is also a proof?

Another thing: a translation agency would never, ever share with translators the information on the client - otherwise how they would have their profits (normally 50% of what they charge from the client). Which means that this is even a more weird situation when the agency tells you to bill the client directly.

Good luck with the client,
Izabella

[Edited at 2005-06-02 23:54]

[Edited at 2005-06-03 01:14]

xxxerudite
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
my client is not a translation agency Jun 3, 2005

Thanks for your advice. I sent a quote to my client who accepted it by email. I have print outs and e-back ups of all correspondance.

My client is not a translation agency. They audit companies and produces reports on what they find. Their clients are often overseas so reports need to be translated.

As far as I'm concerned I've been engaged by my client not theirs.

Thanks for your contribution.

Rachel

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 3, 2005

[Edited at 2005-08-05 23:40]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Invoice the third party, but keep the original client liable Jun 3, 2005

erudite wrote:
I was aware that the documents I was translating for them had been produced by my client for a third party. This third party had requested documents from my client in several languages. ... I sent invoices off last week. My client has replied that I should invoice their client directly.

This has happened to me as well. I have no problem with invoicing the third-party, but in my mind the original client remains liable for payment if something goes wrong (although I'm not sure what my legal position would be). Sometimes such an arrangement leads to other jobs in which the original person is no longer a go-between.

xxxNicolette Ri
Local time: 14:07
French to Dutch
+ ...
It happened to me too Jun 3, 2005

The original client, a one-person advertising agency, knew that he was going bankrupt and therefore asked me to invoice directly their client. It worked well. Advice: just call the new client, ask them if they are OK with this (maybe they aren't!)and say that your bookkeeper needs a new PO on their behalf stating their VAT-number etc. Once you have your new PO you can invoice the client.

Erika Pavelka  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:07
French to English
Me too Jun 3, 2005

I've had the same thing happen to me and I haven't had any problems. Like you, I had never worked with the third party, but I trusted my client, so I invoiced the third party. I received payment before my deadline.

Since your client is the go-between, don't hesitate to contact them if payment for your invoice is late.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Third party invoicing

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs