legitimacy of business
Thread poster: eva75
eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
Jun 5, 2005

I work as an in-house translator and wish to do some freelancing on a part-time basis. I live in France. My clients will mostly be in Germany. What do I need to put on my invoice, and do I need to pay extra social security to the French government, or do I just keep it quiet that I have my own business?

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 04:36
clear it first Jun 5, 2005

Have you checked your work contract with your employer? There could well be a clause expressly forbidding you to undertake freelance translation outside office hours or words to similar effect.

eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No problem with employer Jun 5, 2005

There is no clause in my contract forbidding me from undertaking freelance work. Some of my colleagues do some freelance work on the side.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:36
Flemish to English
+ ...
Smaller contribution Jun 6, 2005

I don't know about French legislation. But I guess the general rule applies that if you work a certain number of hours as an employee and make translations on the side, you will have to pay a smaller sum for social security contributions then when you work as a full-time freelancer. Up to you to find that piece of legislation.

Sarah Brenchley
Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Check out the French social security system Jun 6, 2005

Hi,
You shouuld contact the french social security system and ask their advice. Here in Spain, for example, if you have a full-time contract with an employer, and provided that you don't work more than x number of hours a month and earn more than the legal minimum monthly wage, you do not need to pay self-employed social security contributions and you can issue invoices without any problem.

Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:36
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Have you asked your colleagues? Jun 6, 2005

eva75 wrote:

There is no clause in my contract forbidding me from undertaking freelance work. Some of my colleagues do some freelance work on the side.

They might be able to give you some details from their own experience.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

legitimacy of business

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »