PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:13
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jun 7, 2005

Dear Prozians,

I'm asking few questions to all agencies, outsourcers, who forward the jobs to translators-

1. Do you look out for technical specifications also, while looking for a translator of your language concerned?

I do translations normally on MS Word and MS Excel mostly being well proficient on it.

2. Which payment method is most suitable and comfortable to you?

3. When do you start looking for translators on internet-
... See more
Dear Prozians,

I'm asking few questions to all agencies, outsourcers, who forward the jobs to translators-

1. Do you look out for technical specifications also, while looking for a translator of your language concerned?

I do translations normally on MS Word and MS Excel mostly being well proficient on it.

if the concerned language translator is not available in your own locality?

if the deadline is very near?

4. Do you feel comfortable to call a translator in case of need, even if translator lives far away from your area?

I expect for a brief call from my outsourcers or agencies for a job normally because of busy schedule. If I do not pick phone, then also, I'm noticed by my caller ID that call was from outside country's border.

5. How much do you give weightage to low rates or costs?

6. What is the standard rate in your terms of translations?

Comments from Indian and far-western countries are most welcome!

PRAKASH SHARMA
FREELANCE TRANSLATOR OF NEPALI, HINDI, SANSKRIT AND ENGLISH TO FOUR OF THE SAME
+977 56 530738
[email protected]
Collapse

PRAKASH SHARMA
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello to all ! Jun 7, 2005

You may please answer even one of two of these questions which are comfortable for answering as well sir!
THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE!
PRAKASH SHARMA
HINDI, NEPALI, SANSKRIT AND ENGLISH TRANSLATOR

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 04:43
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Some answers Jun 7, 2005

Dear PRAKAASH,

But of course.

It's often is not enough. Even on local market Powerpoint is often required and on any foreign market in 90% of cases CAT tool is a MUST.

Bank transfer

3. When do you start looking for translators on Internet-
if the concerned language translator is not available in your own locality? if the deadline is very near?

If the translation source and target languages does not include Baltic languages.

4. Do you feel comfortable to call a translator in case of need, even if translator lives far away from your area?

Of course. Though we prefer translators using Skype.

It depends... basically we do not accept low rates and pay reasonable wages- as low wages doesn't provide us with the product which is resalable

It is our standard rate

Uldis

PRAKASH SHARMA
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Few things to mention or ask sir! Jun 7, 2005

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

It's often is not enough. Even on local market Powerpoint is often required and on any foreign market in 90% of cases CAT tool is a MUST.

SORRY, I FORGOT TO MENTION MS POWERPOINT AS I'VE WORKED OUT IN POWERPOINT ALSO FOR MY CLIENTS. I'VE WORKED IN PAGEMAKER ALSO IN LOCAL MARKET. AND CAT tool- SORRY! I'm right now 0.
I'll try to update myself.
PRAKASH

Bank transfer

What are the details that you normally for bank transfers?
BANK NAME, ADDRESS, TRANSLATOR'S NAME, ADDRESS, A/C NO. etc. etc.. ?? What more or less?

Of course. Though we prefer translators using Skype.

MAY I KNOW WHAT'S SKYPE sir?

[quote]
It depends... basically we do not accept low rates and pay reasonable wages- as low wages doesn't provide us with the product which is resalable

THANKS! I TOO EXPECT THE SAME

It is our standard rate

GOOD TEETHS BUT NO ANSWER SIR! You can personally contact me at my email id to tell the standard rates that you forward! Thanks!

THANKS A LOT FOR ANSWERING ALL THESE QUESTIONS!
PRAKASH SHARMA
+977 56 530738

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 04:43
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
We are working basically in Baltic languages Jun 7, 2005

Dear PRAKAASH,

we are working basically in Baltic languages and never yet had any request to translate to or from any of India's languages, so I think our experience beyond what already I told you will be of little or no use to you.

What are the details that you normally for bank transfers?
BANK NAME, ADDRESS, TRANSLATOR'S NAME, ADDRESS, A/C NO. etc. etc.. ?? What more or less?

IBAN code

MAY I KNOW WHAT'S SKYPE sir?

Free Internet telephony.
www.skype.com

It is our standard rate

GOOD TEETHS BUT NO ANSWER SIR! You can personally contact me at my email id to tell the standard rates that you forward! Thanks!

As we are about halfway from Switzerland to, say, Ukraine, our rates are also somewhere halfway there

Hope that helps

Uldis

[Edited at 2005-06-07 20:26]

Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:43
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Some coments Jun 8, 2005

Hello, PRAKAASH. First of all, I must let you know that I'm not either an agency nor an outsourcer; I'm just a freelancer, as you are, who has had the same questions to ask before, but didn't; instead, I started looking for information on the internet, mainly on the translation market in the place I live, Japan. Now, when it comes to jobs from abroad, many things will differ depending on the agency or outsourcer itself, language pairs, local rates, etc. I don't have any experience working for ag... See more
Hello, PRAKAASH. First of all, I must let you know that I'm not either an agency nor an outsourcer; I'm just a freelancer, as you are, who has had the same questions to ask before, but didn't; instead, I started looking for information on the internet, mainly on the translation market in the place I live, Japan. Now, when it comes to jobs from abroad, many things will differ depending on the agency or outsourcer itself, language pairs, local rates, etc. I don't have any experience working for agencies outside Japan, yet through Proz I've learned a lot through what members and agencies post there. For example, I can see how much other translators charge for their work through the "Community's Rates" section (limited to Platinum Members, though), and through the Blue Board (this is only for Platinum Members, too) I can see how agencies and translators interact (to a certain extent). I think it's been very nice of Uldis answering your questions to detail; I've learned some new things too, and really hope other agencies and outsources will follow and help us know more about the world translation market.

[Edited at 2005-06-08 08:18]
Collapse

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 21:43
English to German
+ ...
Dear Prakaash, Jun 8, 2005

PRAKAASH wrote:

Dear Prozians,

Most important factor in my case.

Any ((-; I personaly like payPal

if the concerned language translator is not available in your own locality?

if the deadline is very near?

If none in my database meets the requirements or are simply not reachable.

I very often do call translators.Especially if it is the first time working with them. Sometimes the person can not communicate in the target or source language, but have a great resume.

I expect for a brief call from my outsourcers or agencies for a job normally because of busy schedule. If I do not pick phone, then also, I'm noticed by my caller ID that call was from outside country's border.

Sometimes the client has a low budge . It makes a much better impression if your prices are medium to medium high, it showes self confidence and you still can go down with the price. Most of the time it is the client/outsourcer who gives you the price anyway and than it is up to you to take it or leave it.

in my business 0.10 to 0.14 US

Comments from Indian and far-western countries are most welcome!

PRAKASH SHARMA
+977 56 530738
[email protected][/quote]

I hope this was somewhat useful to you.
All the best
Andrea
I have not figured out how to separate my answers from your questions I keep trying but maybe someone tells me. iiih

[Edited at 2005-06-08 20:21]

Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:43
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
How to separate questions from answers Jun 11, 2005

Hi, Andrea.

I have not figured out how to separate my answers from your questions I keep trying but maybe someone tells me. iiih

[Edited at 2005-06-08 20:21]

Just use "quote" at the begining and "/quote" (both without the quotation marks and eclosed by []) at the end of each sentence you want to appear quoted (I've tried to write the complete command here, but what's written in the middle appears quoted and doesn't look good!). Click on the "Reply with quote" button of any of the responses above and you'll see that's what they've done. Give it a try! It's easy. Good luck!

[Edited at 2005-06-11 23:28]

Anil Goyal
Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
My answers... Jul 15, 2005

Yes, this is most important part. We prefer translators who use some CAT tools instead of working directly into the Office applications. Our prefered Tools are TRADOS and SDLX.

For Indian translators, direct transfer using RBI's e-cheque facility. For others, Paypal.

When we do not have expert in our database or our regular experts are not available.

I don't find this necessary. I have received calls at 2-3 AM from US clients who think all the World work as per their working hours. I just don't want to give this impression to out associates. However, if required, I do call them.

Depends on what we are getting. Being an Indian Agency we are expected to quote low rates. However, I am one of those type who dosen't believe that there is any relationship between quality and the price.

Well, the price of any commodity is determined with just one law, "The price is nothing but the best guess estimate of what the buyer can pay".

Hope this helps.

Anil

Lingua IT
www.linguait.com
India

[Edited at 2005-07-15 15:22]

PRAKASH SHARMA
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I noticed other answers quite late Aug 20, 2009

Hi,
I am glad and thankful to see all of my friends' answers.
After understanding the need of learning CAT tools, I tried the same, and now, I have enough hands on experience on some of the CAT tools like SDL Trados, SDLX, some MS tools, xliff editor, etc.
Currently, I am working as a full-timer in a pvt ltd. organization in Delhi, India and rarely get time to be involved in translations. Nowadays, I am avoiding going for freelance translations, specifically technical in nature
... See more
Hi,
I am glad and thankful to see all of my friends' answers.
After understanding the need of learning CAT tools, I tried the same, and now, I have enough hands on experience on some of the CAT tools like SDL Trados, SDLX, some MS tools, xliff editor, etc.
Currently, I am working as a full-timer in a pvt ltd. organization in Delhi, India and rarely get time to be involved in translations. Nowadays, I am avoiding going for freelance translations, specifically technical in nature, due to the over-involvement needed for review/proofreading etc. I don't have time usually to furnish any required changes after a job is completed.
But, right now, I am engaged as a Sr. translator handling a team of inhouse translators, working on my management skills as well.
Hopefully, I will come out as a better manager and translator, both after few years of experience and will be able to serve global community in a better manner.

PRAKAASH
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some questions to agencies or outsourcers from a TRANSLATOR

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »