Mobile menu

Authors moral rights - France
Thread poster: Clive Jones
Clive Jones  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:50
Member (2002)
French to English
Jun 13, 2002

I read the decision of the Austrian Supreme Court on author\'s moral rights and wondered if anyone could point me towards an equivalent ruling relating to France. I have recently translated two books for a well-known publisher in France and gave them a discount provided my name appeared as translator. I believe this has not been adhered to. Can anyone help with this?

Direct link Reply with quote

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:50
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
A discount? Jun 13, 2002

I am very muach surprised hearing that and would be grateful for any feedback by collegues from France and other countries.

Where I come from the publisher HAS to give the name of translator unless the translator specifically agrees not to do it (in written, I belive). It is reasonable for me, because if the book is published without mentioning the translator, it implies that the original author has written it in target language. Regardless the deal on transfer the copyright, the translator ALWAYS retains the moral right to the translation.

There is certainly different legislation in different countries, but I never heard about giving discounts for printing the author\'s name (and the translator is the author of the translated version). In my country the court would seize entire circulation of the book if the publisher omitted the translator\'s name without his/her consent.

Magda

Clive Jones  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:50
Member (2002)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Discount for name Jun 14, 2002

Thanks for your contribution Magya. I gave a discount in order to get the job. Perhaps I should have insisted more. The problem is that I will have to purchase the book to ascertain whether my name figures and I would expect not to be able to afford a costly legal case if they have omitted it. Is there any body to which I could turn for assistance?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Authors moral rights - France

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs