Need help with 11th century Arabic
Thread poster: CatherineRae
CatherineRae
CatherineRae
English
Jun 13, 2005

Hi, I have no idea if this is the place to be, but I'm looking for someone to help me with a few Arabic words from the 11th century. I'm writing a novel that takes place in 11th century Spain, found a dictionary of Arabic used by the Moors, but as I'm moving closer to publication, I'm concerned I'm using the correct words. I can't pay much, but if someone here is willing to look the words over (probably 25-30 words or phrases), I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
Catherine

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 16:30
English to Dutch
+ ...
Posting it as a job will do the trick Jun 13, 2005

Hi Catherine,

Simply post your message as a job.
You may do so at
http://www.proz.com/?sp=jp

Good luck!

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
Local time: 16:30
English to German
Why don't you post this question in the Arabic forum Jun 13, 2005

CatherineRae wrote:

Hi, I have no idea if this is the place to be, but I'm looking for someone to help me with a few Arabic words from the 11th century. Catherine

You should also consider that there are many differences between standard Arabic and the Arabic dialects and that it might be difficult to find someone who's famliar with 11th century Arabic. Since many words and expressions haven't changed much since the 11th century you might be able to "cheat" by using contemporary Arabic words and hardly any reader would notice the difference.

Good luck!
Olaf

CatherineRae
CatherineRae
English
TOPIC STARTER
Mousstain-- Jun 17, 2005

[quote]CatherineRae wrote:

Hi, Mousstain,

Thanks for your generous offer to translate---my hard drive died so I don't have your email....should be up and running again next week... just wanted you to know why you haven't heard from me...
Catherine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help with 11th century Arabic

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »