Question about "court certified" documents
Thread poster: ConversaIntl
ConversaIntl
ConversaIntl
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 15, 2005

One of my clients applied to a school and I translated his transcripts. The school is now saying that they need to be "court certified". Is this right, and if so, where do I find someone that is court certified?

Thanks in advance!!!

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Clarify with the school Jun 15, 2005

This needs to clarified with the school. What exactly is it they want? That is the answer you need.

Esther Hermida
Esther Hermida  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Court certified docs. Jun 15, 2005

I can only write concerning California. I'm a certified CA state and Federal Court Interpreter. If I do a translation for someone and they want a certification by the Courts all I do is pay a small fee and write a Declaration of Translator like this:

DECLARATION OF INTERPRETER/TRANSLATOR

I, the undersigned, say: I am an official interpreter and a translator for the Superior Court in and for the County of Los Angeles, State of California; I am a certified interpreter by
... See more
I can only write concerning California. I'm a certified CA state and Federal Court Interpreter. If I do a translation for someone and they want a certification by the Courts all I do is pay a small fee and write a Declaration of Translator like this:

DECLARATION OF INTERPRETER/TRANSLATOR

I, the undersigned, say: I am an official interpreter and a translator for the Superior Court in and for the County of Los Angeles, State of California; I am a certified interpreter by the State of California and the U.S. District Courts; I am familiar with the English and Spanish languages; I have translated the attached XXXXXXX consisting of ten (10) pages, from Spanish into English. The foregoing is a true and correct translation of said document.

I certify under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct.

Signed------etc

The clerk then puts the official seal of the courts as proof that I am a certified translator/interpreter for the courts.

If you're not certified by the Courts you can either ask one translator who is, to review your translation and then he/she can write something similar except it needs to be stated that the translator reviewed said translation and it was correct, bla, bla, bla(This will cost you, though). The other option is if you're ATA certified you can add a similar declaration except that you're certified by the ATA.

You may want to call the interpreters office of the Courts in your State and ask about their procedures.

Good luck! (It is a pain!)
Collapse

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
Henry's right, who knows what they might need Jun 15, 2005

but if this if for the US, you might save time by just adding a translator's affadavit to the translation, and asking, "Is this what you wanted?"

de-ru-es-en
de-ru-es-en  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:56
Russian to German
+ ...
Clarify with the school, probably certified translation required Jun 15, 2005

I agree with Henry. The client should clarify with the school what they want regarding
  1. the foreign language originals (e.g. Apostille according The Hague Convention of 1961-10-05; further certifications according to local law and legalisation, this applies in many South-American countries)
  2. the translation - certified by a certified / sworn translator, further certifications of the translator (public notary, the courthouse or offical entity where the translator is register... See more
I agree with Henry. The client should clarify with the school what they want regarding
  1. the foreign language originals (e.g. Apostille according The Hague Convention of 1961-10-05; further certifications according to local law and legalisation, this applies in many South-American countries)
  2. the translation - certified by a certified / sworn translator, further certifications of the translator (public notary, the courthouse or offical entity where the translator is registered etc.)

Probably, they meant a certified translation by a certified / sworn translator, if it is an U.S. school.

But there are so many local/state's laws, your client (or you for extra cash) should clarify that demanding clear statements like
  • the source text needs to be legalized by the U.S. Consulate with previous certification by local entities
  • the translation needs to be certified by a certified translator

Good luck
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Translation or translator? My practice. Jun 16, 2005

I stick by my original answer, ask the school. Now, my own normal practice with academic documents is to add a statement to the effect that I am certified by the U.S. Federal Courts as an Interpreter, not as a translator, though the job description does include translation duties. Of course I am not employed by the U.S. Federal Courts and such documents do not have anything to do with court matters.

On documents to be presented to a court I would have that statement notarized, but o
... See more
I stick by my original answer, ask the school. Now, my own normal practice with academic documents is to add a statement to the effect that I am certified by the U.S. Federal Courts as an Interpreter, not as a translator, though the job description does include translation duties. Of course I am not employed by the U.S. Federal Courts and such documents do not have anything to do with court matters.

On documents to be presented to a court I would have that statement notarized, but on academic documents I do not, I just sign and date it and that's it.

To date no client has ever returned complaining that my translation was unacceptable, though many have returned to have further documents translated and have recommended me to others. So I can only assume that I'm doing it right.

But ask the school. Only they know (or don't know) what they want.
Collapse

Esther Hermida
Esther Hermida  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another note Jun 18, 2005

I can tell you're in CA by your zipcode. So, my prior comments stand and apply to you. I know of ATA translators who do transcripts all the time and the school accepts them and in other instances it requires it.

Henry is right. The best and easiest way to clarify this is to ask the school what they mean by a "certified translation".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about "court certified" documents

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »