The translation of glossaries
Thread poster: Dave Greatrix

Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:47
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 14, 2002

Would my fellow colleagues agree that the translation/editing of glossaries should be better paid. Or at the very least the client must understand that a glossary is a totally different ball game as the translation of a flowing text and more time should be allowed by the client.

I for one will not be taking on any more editing work, unless I am sure that the original translator was competent.

I have just spent 6 hours editing a glossay of approx. 1200 words. (technical) What a nightmare. First the client had the idea that it would take \"circa 2 hours\". At least 50% of the terms were incorreclty translated, not to mention the additional difficulties presented by the absence of context.

Then blow me, I had an E mail. Could I edit nearly 5000 words in four hours. Forget it!

I hasten to add that the client had understanding for the glossary problems, and we came to a mutual agreement.

I would however be interested to hear the views of other members on this problem.

Thanks,

Dave

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-14 19:51 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Carla Trapani
Local time: 09:47
English to Italian
+ ...
experience with glossaries Jun 14, 2002

Once I had to do a translation of a manual concerning a textile loom from German into Italian. The client gave me a glossary to use as reference (all terms are correct, he said\". Then six months later he hired a Swiss person for training courses and small translations. He called me and asked me to edit the manual as the more technical terms were not correct!! I spent six hours to defend my translation and explain that it was not my fault if I had been told to use that glossary and then the glossary was not correct... Then he apologised.. but never again!!!!

I do not like translating and editing glossaries.. takes too much time to understand the context behind each single word.. In any case, I agree with you... They should be better paid !!

Bye

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:47
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

Most glossary translations are of little use Jun 15, 2002

Guesswork, ambiguities and grammar problems.

I charge € 0.20/word but will charge more next time.

Mats

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:47
Dutch to English
+ ...
Glossaries Jun 15, 2002

I have translated a few glossaries. But only when in my field (IT and certain machines) and I usually charge 0.35 EUR per word or per hour. I always find that the best way is to find out from the customer where his products related to the glossary will be installed and then to phone/e-mail the factory or whatever and coordinate with them about the terminology they use. I find that factory A uses a completely different set of words to factory B, so like Matt said, glossaries are a bit useless.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The translation of glossaries

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs