https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/33590-agency_asks_for_a_receipt_for_the_money_paid.html

Agency asks for a receipt for the money paid
Thread poster: Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:02
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Jun 20, 2005

How often do the agencies ask for a receipt for the money they paid you?
I was just asked by an agency to send them a receipt confirming that I have indeed received the money for the job. I have never been asked to do that. Is that a common practice?

Cheers,
Burrell

de-ru-es-en
de-ru-es-en  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:02
Russian to German
+ ...
depends how money is paid Jun 20, 2005

Hi, if you have issued an invoice and got paid by a bank transfer it's not common to issue an additional receipt. The bank receipt is considered as a good fiscal proof of payment.

However, nothing speaks against it, especially if bank transfers are problematic or connected to problematic countries (countries with a difficult legislation on international payments like CIS).

If you received money by bank transfer you should state:

XXX GBP/RUR/LVL/KZT/BYR...
... See more
Hi, if you have issued an invoice and got paid by a bank transfer it's not common to issue an additional receipt. The bank receipt is considered as a good fiscal proof of payment.

However, nothing speaks against it, especially if bank transfers are problematic or connected to problematic countries (countries with a difficult legislation on international payments like CIS).

If you received money by bank transfer you should state:

XXX GBP/RUR/LVL/KZT/BYR... have been paid for invoice # NNN/YYYY-MM-DD by bank transfer.

it would be the same "...by Western Union transfer # NNN"
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 02:02
Member (2003)
French to English
I've never had one ask, but it would make sense to me, though Jun 20, 2005

I've never had an agency ask for an official receipt, but usually when they send payment they do follow up with an email and ask just that I email them back to confirm receipt, but that is not the same thing as an actual receipt, of course. However, I can see an agency asking for a receipt, it sounds like a valid request to me.

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am just curious Jun 20, 2005

To be honest I am just curious. Because to me it sounds like the agency has not done their homework well and now need the backup. Certainly all the other paperwork agencies have should be enough to prove that they have paid the bill - invoice, bank statements, transfer details etc.
The thing is I delivered the project already long time ago. They were three month late with the payment but did not mention the receipt untill now - a month after they paid the bill.
I sent them one stra
... See more
To be honest I am just curious. Because to me it sounds like the agency has not done their homework well and now need the backup. Certainly all the other paperwork agencies have should be enough to prove that they have paid the bill - invoice, bank statements, transfer details etc.
The thing is I delivered the project already long time ago. They were three month late with the payment but did not mention the receipt untill now - a month after they paid the bill.
I sent them one straight away, of course.
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
You could make them wait three months, then Jun 20, 2005

I understand your frustration and I also understand why you find it curious. I guess I would, too, if I were in your place. In that case, you could keep putting them off, but eventually do send it to them - in three months, like they made you wait, lol. Don't make it obvious that you are making them wait but then again, if they took that much time just paying you, then they can wait on this from you, which they didn't even ask for up front, apparently - it's not like they need it immediately,... See more
I understand your frustration and I also understand why you find it curious. I guess I would, too, if I were in your place. In that case, you could keep putting them off, but eventually do send it to them - in three months, like they made you wait, lol. Don't make it obvious that you are making them wait but then again, if they took that much time just paying you, then they can wait on this from you, which they didn't even ask for up front, apparently - it's not like they need it immediately, and you are right, if they haven't really done their homework and if they paid you so late then let them wait if you want.Collapse

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Payback Jun 20, 2005

gad wrote:

In that case, you could keep putting them off, but eventually do send it to them - in three months, like they made you wait, lol. Don't make it obvious that you are making them wait but then again, if they took that much time just paying you, then they can wait on this from you, which they didn't even ask for up front, apparently - it's not like they need it immediately, and you are right, if they haven't really done their homework and if they paid you so late then let them wait if you want.

It never entered my mind to pay them back in this way. I suppose the fact that I left negative feedback on BB and that they will never be able to use my services again settled our score in my mind. I just sent them the receipt.

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
I have been asked for receipts in the past .... Jun 21, 2005

... but this was before I was VAT registered and so I had to issue the clients with a payment request, and then confirm their payment with a receipt. Obviously, with VAT receipts this should no longer be necessary.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
You probably handled it best anyway Jun 21, 2005

You were probably right in just going ahead and issuing the receipt instead of making them wait like I had suggested (not sure if I'd've thought of that myself if I were in that situation, to be honest, anyway), and to enter the information on the BB and then just move on to other agencies who actually are worthy of your services. It certainly sounds like that was the more professional approach.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Only once Jun 23, 2005

For prompt payment discount terms in chuchotage. Direct client, cash on the spot, and the invoice forwarded later on to their business address in the US. Since we weren't sure we'd see each other again, intercontinental bank transfers cost money, and check transactions as well, it made perfect, pragmatic sense.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency asks for a receipt for the money paid

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »