Mobile menu

What are the most prominent searching engines in various countries?
Thread poster: xxxTwinpens
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 29, 2005

Register our websites to the searching engines is a very effective way to survive in business. Could you tell me what are the dominent searching engines in the following countries:

Thank you very much!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-29 20:37]

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Germany Jun 30, 2005
lists the most important German search engines.
Befor Google, I registered with and using their automatic registration registered with a lot of other search engines.
But I believe since then people use Google most of the time in all countries.
For a translation business it is more important to register with profession-specific sites, that's where the customers search.
IN Germany Frank Truu's site proved very valuable and cheap.
Your visibility in Google can assured by putting a link to your site on a site that is already visible in Google, as your profile page at

Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
English to Turkish
+ ...
Google rules in Turkey Jun 30, 2005

I can say on the basis of my personal observations. More than 70% of Turkish visitors to my site are referred by google. There are also some referrals from Yahoo and MSN.

Nevertheless, great majority of my visitors came from USA & UK. And both countries seem to be using the three leading search engines with approximately same frequency.

Following Bourbon update by Google in May, MSN also updated its search algo in June with which many small-sized sites like mine find a way up to first pages in SERPs, luckily.

By the way, receiving most of the visitors from a certain search engine does not mean that it is the predominantly used one. It just may be that your page ranks well in that search engine. To have a comparative judgment on the basis of single-site access statistics, the site in question should be doing comparatively well in all major search engines.

[Edited at 2005-06-30 06:52]

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:55
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Singapore Jun 30, 2005

Good luck!!

Marko Kunc
Local time: 15:55
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Web search engines Jul 1, 2005

Germany -

Italy -

Spain -

Japan -

Korea -

Denmark -

Sweden -

Singapore -

Turkey -

Aleksandr Okunev
English to Russian
Russian Jul 2, 2005

Stay well

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the most prominent searching engines in various countries?

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs