Mobile menu

Mailing list service issues
Thread poster: David Petersen
David Petersen
Local time: 06:40
Japanese to English
Jul 9, 2005

Hello fellow translators

I recently received a notice from Paypal of an automatic withdrawal for annual fees to the TCR list, used by many of us for discussion of agency nonpayment.

Not interested in continuing as a member, I sent that following request to the owner, along with a similar line on in reply to the automatic response.

>Dear sir/madam: I didn't ask to renew
my subscription and I would appreciate
it if you would cancel this >payment.
>Regards Dr. David Petersen

The response was a follows:

>How dare you write me such a message.
YOU SIGNED up for a Pay Pal
subscription to the TCR List. When >
you did so, YOU authorized Pay Pal to
charge you a subscription fee EVERY
YEAR. It is CLEARLY >explained when
you join that YOU must cancel your
subscription or you will be charged!
You are >irresponsible. You are to
blame, no one else. I hope you soon
grow up and take responsibility for
your own >actions. If you don't read
when you sign up for something, it is
STILL YOUR responsibility to take care
of >business!
>I hope you are in the mood to read,
because as was the agreement you took
out with Pay Pal when you >signed up
for the TCR List, the info in this
email (which you will have to read) is
important. Wonder where >in the world
you got a Ph.D. Very puzzling. If YOU
don't cancel your Pay Pal subscription
to TCR, it will >charge you again next
year, and be forwarned [SIC], I won't
refund your payment if that happens.
(Of course, > all this info was given
to you when you signed up, but I guess
you need to be "spoon fed".)

Wow...

Am I wrong in assuming that an email simply pointing out that the original agreement was for automatic deductions, (and perhaps inquiring as to why I was not interested in continuing my subscription) would have been more in keeping with the standard we would like to see in our industry?

David Petersen

Direct link Reply with quote

craigs
Local time: 17:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
How do you disenroll from PayPal anyway? Jul 9, 2005

I myself tried to close my account some time ago. I don't recall if I never found anything indicating how to do it or if I did and it just didn't work. Either way, it was hard for me to shake them, so I just left it since the account was empty.

As for that totally obscene message, I am aghast that that would actually escape a professional business. I would definitely pursue it at a higher level in their organization. You would do so many people a favor to help ferret out such a bad employee.

David Petersen
Local time: 06:40
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
re: closing account Jul 9, 2005

craigs wrote:

I myself tried to close my account some time ago. I don't recall if I never found anything indicating how to do it or if I did and it just didn't work. Either way, it was hard for me to shake them, so I just left it since the account was empty.

As for that totally obscene message, I am aghast that that would actually escape a professional business. I would definitely pursue it at a higher level in their organization. You would do so many people a favor to help ferret out such a bad employee.

Yes, closing an account takes quite a bit of poking around. I finally found it by clicking on details of a prior translation with the TCR list, and from there, clicking on details of the account. Paypal could do with some competition, in my opinion.

In terms of pursuing that message with the higher-ups, there's nowhere to go, since it was signed by the listowner.

Dave

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 17:40
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
She's not an employee; she's the boss Jul 15, 2005

David Petersen wrote:
You would do so many people a favor to help ferret out such a bad employee.

and moderator (immoderate moderator, I guess) agency owner and translator.

Nancy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mailing list service issues

Advanced search

Translation news

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs