Thread poster: Burrell

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:59
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Jul 17, 2005

I registered domain name with Proz earlier this year, clearly thinking I will have neought time to design my own website. Needless to say, I have hardly had time to do my own accounts, to say nothing of website design, or even reading information on website design from the books I bought for this reason.
I presume most of the translators have very little time, yet they manage to have their own websites. How? To hire somebody else costs at least a 1000 pounds and I am not willing to pay that kind of money. I cannot do it in one day, I do not even know how to do design a website in the first place. Are there any solutions I am not aware of?

Any suggestions welcome,
Burrell

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:59
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
1000 pounds? Jul 17, 2005

I believe you can have a small business website done for much less than 1000 pounds, maybe even for 1/10 or that. Try to find a freelance website designer in a country with lower costs of living. Instead of designing the website from scratch, you could just use a template (for example at www.templatemonster.com) and have it adopted.

I don't think it's a good idea to design the website by yourself, especially if you are busy with your own work and don't know anything about webdesign.

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Time consuming but also fun Jul 17, 2005

Hi,
Designing and maintaining one's own website can be indeed time consuming, especially at the begining. I've decided to do it myself when I realised that the most time cosuming part - writing the actual content, I would have to do myself anyway, designer will do graphic design only and that's the easiest part.

The key thing is to find a good wed editing software which is easy to use and makes updating your website easy. Also, as Hynek pointed out, it's a good idea to use ready-made templates, at least at the beginning, before you learn the tricks.

I'm using EasyWebEditor software, but there are plenty of good ones in the net. There is also in-built editor which comes together with the hosting package.

Making your own website can also be a great fun, a nice distraction from translating which sometimes appears to be less creative work then we would expect

Good luck,
Magda
http://www.kmm-language.com

Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:59
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
looking for a web designer Jul 17, 2005

We ve been trying to find a local web designer, with no success, so far, for our Team...........

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
This forum is not intended for offering services Jul 17, 2005

Please refrain from advertising one's services (rule 6).

I closed a few postings but am (also) looking forward to some interesting contributions.

[Edited at 2005-07-18 00:01]

Aluf
Local time: 23:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Clarifying the problem helps to find the solution Jul 18, 2005

Burrell wrote:

I registered domain name with Proz earlier this year, clearly thinking I will have neought time to design my own website. Needless to say, I have hardly had time to do my own accounts, to say nothing of website design, or even reading information on website design from the books I bought for this reason.
I presume most of the translators have very little time, yet they manage to have their own websites. How? To hire somebody else costs at least a 1000 pounds and I am not willing to pay that kind of money. I cannot do it in one day, I do not even know how to do design a website in the first place. Are there any solutions I am not aware of?

Any suggestions welcome,
Burrell

Hi Burrell, while you've clearly stated why you find difficult creating the web site you didn't in the first place say - why do you want the web site? What are your goals in creating the one?
Everyone has his/her own thoughts in undertaking this task, I guess. You say you're overloaded with work,so you don't really need the web site as means to attract new clients. If you want it to be the place of contact for your existing customers (to place a resume, contact details,a short list of performed projects etc) and
as a short introduction for potential customers referred by the existing ones - in one word type of the web sites you see as profiles of users here at proz.com but in more universally accepted
look then you don't need to spend money, just a bit of time maybe. You don't have any need here to be original - look around for web sites like that of translators, then any WYSIWYG html editor would allow you to compile such simple one-page site taking care about html code behind the scenes that nevertheless will look nice and professional.For example Office comes with FrontPage that has the option of creating the site in design mode as if you were designing it in Word, moreover it has built-in templates, microsoft.com has tutorials that would help you do the task. Lots of templates are circling around on the Net for free. Commercial templates like those of monster are overkill here.

If on the other hand you want the website to attract new customers, to promote you on the Net, to add value I'd rather say it's not possible without a professional or without you becoming the one. Web promotion is enormous job to do and demands lots of things - visual design (preferably original - people are getting sick of countless Monster-plates), the content updated regularly, search engines promotion, etc.

Reference
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/default.aspx

NataliaElo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Pros everywhere Jul 18, 2005

Dear Burrell,

I am also planning to have my website for two reasons. First of all becuase I don't live in the country of my main working language pair and therefore not able to market myself in other, more traditional ways.

The second reason is that my second language combination is really crowded, as you perhaps can imagine. So because of the competition I have decided to make my website and to do it by a professional and not myself.

Burrell wrote:

To hire somebody else costs at least a 1000 pounds and I am not willing to pay that kind of money.

I'm sorry, but doesn't it sound familiar? It's like some unexperienced client of ours, who is saying that translation is far too expensive and that any girl, who spent a year as an aupair in England, can do the job?

I think that tax authorities would accept it as your expenses for developing your business. Please, anybody, correct me if I'm wrong.

Best regards
Natalia

[Edited at 2005-07-18 15:39]

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 16:59
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
The cost of something is its value to you Jul 18, 2005

Burrell wrote:
To hire somebody else costs at least a 1000 pounds and I am not willing to pay that kind of money. I cannot do it in one day, I do not even know how to do design a website in the first place. Are there any solutions I am not aware of?

Any suggestions welcome,
Burrell

Since any suggestions are welcome might I suggest that 1000 pounds is way too much. However, you answer your own question in the following line: It takes more than a day to do; how much do you earn in a day? You don't know how to design a website in the first place: a professional has undertaken the time and effort required to learn his trade; how much is that worth to you?

Anyway, take solace in the fact that although you probably will have to hire someone, this someone will do a much better job than you could, given your lack of skills and time, and that there are many pros who will do the job for far less than you imagine.

Good luck! The upshot, of course, is that you will be even busier... and happy with the result

Nancy

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:59
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Website design Jul 18, 2005

Yes, I quite agree that any services deserve to be paid. Of course! And if I will find a freelancer who does not have to give part of his earnings to the agency, I might even get a satisfactory quote.
Actually it is not like I have no idea at all about web design. I even attempted to design it myself, but the testing bit and other details were a bit dodgy. But then again, maybe I really need a professional site - it does leave better impression, and I am always on looking for good clients.
Well, if you really think it is not going break the bank, I might really go for it.
Thanks everybody! And advice (any!) is still welcome!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website design

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs