https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/35345-has_anyone_called_macau_long_distance_lately.html

Off topic: Has anyone called Macau long-distance lately?
Thread poster: Yongmei Liu
Yongmei Liu
Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:19
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 4, 2005

Exorbitant rates, yikes!

Just under 2 dollars per minute from the U.S., charged by an AT&T subsidiary called Lucky Dog, aka 1010345.

You're lucky if your girlfriend doesn't live in Macau, I will tell you that!

Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
Lindsay Sabadosa (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:19
Italian to English
+ ...
1010987 or Skype Aug 4, 2005

I haven't been calling Macau but why don't you try 1010987 before your call. I'm not sure about Macau but it's 0.03 USD cents a minute + a 0.50 connection fee to Western Europe and not bad for the rest of the world too. (I remember calling China was cheap; my family used it when I lived in Nanjing.) Otherwise, try using Skype. It's through your computer but if she has it too, it's free. Even if she doesn't, the charge is still minimal unless you are calling a cell phone in which case there isn't... See more
I haven't been calling Macau but why don't you try 1010987 before your call. I'm not sure about Macau but it's 0.03 USD cents a minute + a 0.50 connection fee to Western Europe and not bad for the rest of the world too. (I remember calling China was cheap; my family used it when I lived in Nanjing.) Otherwise, try using Skype. It's through your computer but if she has it too, it's free. Even if she doesn't, the charge is still minimal unless you are calling a cell phone in which case there isn't much hope regardless of the carrier that you use...

Up-date: I just checked out their website and it turns out it's .83 cents a minute + a 0.53 cent connection fee to Macau. I'd go with Skype...

[Edited at 2005-08-04 02:26]
Collapse

sorchio
sorchio
Germany
Local time: 01:19
English to German
$ 0.073 with Skype Aug 4, 2005

LSabadosa is right, Skype is probably the cheapest way here. According to the Skype Website a phone call to Macau costs $ 0.073 per minute (incl. VAT). I use Skype regularly to speak to my folks at home and I can highly recommend the service.

Yongmei Liu
Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:19
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Guess I will get Skype Aug 4, 2005

I always thought it was a free service and therefore the quality line must be terrible.

Thanks for the input, guys.

sorchio
sorchio
Germany
Local time: 01:19
English to German
Very good quality Aug 4, 2005

I myself *discovered* Skype only by accident but I haven't looked back since then. I don't know what the quality is like for modem users but using Skype with a DSL connection has never caused any problems.

Also, Skype offers a service called SkypeIn where you purchase a Skype number where people can call you at from their landl
... See more
I myself *discovered* Skype only by accident but I haven't looked back since then. I don't know what the quality is like for modem users but using Skype with a DSL connection has never caused any problems.

Also, Skype offers a service called SkypeIn where you purchase a Skype number where people can call you at from their landlines. Even though the service is still in Beta I have successfully used it dozens of times.

It is definitely worth a try

Regards,
Rebecca

Yongmei Liu wrote:

I always thought it was a free service and therefore the quality line must be terrible.

Thanks for the input, guys.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anyone called Macau long-distance lately?

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »