Web site translation
Thread poster: xxxakkord
xxxakkord
Local time: 04:52
English to German
+ ...
Aug 17, 2005

Dear peers,

I have recently translated a web site. I was told that I would be mentioned in the web site credits.

What I am afraid of now is that if the client is going to make changes to my translation himself later on (maybe of poor quality) it will always be me who "officially" translated the web site.

What can I do about that - except making them promise that I can do the updates

And if I use this translation as a reference, would it be advisable to mention that I did the "initial" translation, and that I am not responsible for any changes made later on?

Thanks for your support!

christine

Direct link Reply with quote

Mihail M Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 05:52
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
my experience Aug 17, 2005

akkord wrote:

And if I use this translation as a reference, would it be advisable to mention that I did the "initial" translation, and that I am not responsible for any changes made later on?

Thanks for your support!

christine

Dear Christine,

I was in similar position with a site, which I was localized in English. Since the initinal start of the site (infact I was the wabmaster of the site), the client did so many changes, which are not professionally looking, that finally (after long thinking of pros and cons this site to present in my CV) I was forced to remove the site from my CV.

Meanwhile I did other site localizations, so the lach of the first is not so important.

This is my experience.

Hope this will help you to make your own decision.

Best regards,

Misho

xxxBrandis
Local time: 04:52
English to German
+ ...
websites are bound to change in course of time Aug 17, 2005

and so do many other factors, what type, how, content etc., and they would need updation and revision of somekind. You can offer your client these services, develop a TM so that you would have reference strings in the TM for future use. But if your client rejects your offer instead of negotiating or keeping for future reference etc,. you would know of his intentions any way and behave accordingly. Brandis

[Edited at 2005-08-17 11:24]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Web site translation

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs