Mobile menu

Daily translation work: any labor-coded volume limits?
Thread poster: Ex-cadet
Ex-cadet
English to Russian
Jun 27, 2002

My employer and I have had a dispute: is there any specific volume I should translate within my 8-hours workday? Any \"total words\" or \"total pages\" rates? We are in Russia, and I would very much appreciate comments from those who might have been previously employed by the VTsP Translations Centre.

Rumors are, UN translators MAY not take up more than (so-and-so) written work per day. That right?

Direct link Reply with quote

Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 19:25
English to Dutch
+ ...
Depends Jun 27, 2002

That very much depends on what you\'re translating. My personal record in one day is 9,500 words (thank you Déjà Vu!), but I also have days of 2,000 words or even less (because of the subject or because the weather is too nice to work ). I\'d say, for an 8-hour day and proofreading included, 3,000 to 3,500 words is a nice average (500 words per hour + proofreading and corrections).

hth

Joeri

Jeannie Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:25
German to English
+ ...
average Jun 27, 2002

As an ex-translation manager, we usually estimated around 2,000 words a day translation and 8,000 words review for most languages. Japanese and Chinese are considerably less.

Again, depends a lot on subject and very importantly, the quality of the original text!

hope this helps

Jacek Krankowski  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Thank you, Kalimeh! Jun 27, 2002

Fully agree.

Ex-cadet, see also:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=679&topic=2673&forum=15&12

Steffen Pollex  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Agree, too! Jun 27, 2002

For myself, I have established a workload of maximum 2,000-2,500 words per day. This is based on own experience, and I always state it when bidding or making an offer to an agency or client. Hardly can I believe that people are able to deliver decent translation of up to 3,000 or 4,000 words a day as sometimes stated.

BTW, my languages are, most likely, yours, too - Russian, English, German.

Steffen

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
8 pages Jun 27, 2002

I have friends who work for the translation dept. of the UN offices in Geneva and NY, and for UNESCO. They all say that they\'re \'allowed (mandated)\' to translate about 8 pages a day, or roughly 2,500 words.

Steffen Pollex  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Roughly, one page per hour is my experience, too. Jun 27, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-06-27 13:22, marcushm wrote:

I have friends who work for the translation dept. of the UN offices in Geneva and NY, and for UNESCO. They all say that they\'re \'allowed (mandated)\' to translate about 8 pages a day, or roughly 2,500 words.

kbamert  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
agree with Werner George Patels Jun 27, 2002

Hello

Quote from the other string provided:

Normal volume: 1,000 words per day

Express volume: 2,000 words per day

source:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=679&topic=2673&forum=15&12

The 8 pages quoted from UN are normally very easy, repetitive conference interventions (where you are able to translate big volumes per day), style:

A: said this

B: said this etc.

Regards,

Kurt

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
2,000 to 2,500 words on average Jun 27, 2002

I definitely go with Kalimeh, Jacek, Marcus and Steffen here.

While you may have days of 3 or 4000 or even more words, a good average would be 2,000 to 2,500 words for translation and about 8,000 for editing (provided the translator did a good job).

And a lot still depends on both the languages and the subject matter you\'re dealing with.

[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Daily translation work: any labor-coded volume limits?

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs