How long after completion of job do free corrections
Thread poster: EMERZE
EMERZE
EMERZE
Local time: 13:25
Bengali to English
+ ...
Aug 26, 2005

How long after submission of job does one have to provide "free corrections" to the translation?

Andy Lemminger
Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:55
Member (2002)
English to German
No limit Aug 26, 2005

EMERZE wrote:

How long after submission of job does one have to provide "free corrections" to the translation?

If there are errors in the text and if that was your fault, then I think you have to fix them and not impose any time limits.

In any other case you don't have to do anything for free anyway.

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
Local time: 09:55
English to Danish
With Andy Aug 26, 2005

If the corrections have to do with any mistakes etc. on your part, there's no time limit.
Just be glad that this co./agency/whatever cares to do it the right way and let you correct any mistakes (some will rather refuse or reduce payment).

EMERZE
EMERZE
Bengali to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can it be demanded that it be done NOW Aug 26, 2005

Andy Lemminger wrote:

EMERZE wrote:

If there are errors in the text and if that was your fault, then I think you have to fix them and not impose any time limits.

In any other case you don't have to do anything for free anyway.

Can it be demanded that it be done NOW! without respecting time differnces

[Edited at 2005-08-26 14:47]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I normally give 36 hours Aug 26, 2005

Hi! when I finish and send a translation to a customer I mention in the invoice that all claims must reach me within 36 hours irrespective of timezones( because it is a sales product for the agency), with some relaxation to older customers. Besst Brandis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Minor alternations = 1 month, minor corrections = immediately Aug 26, 2005

EMERZE wrote:

If you're referring to the correction of errors in the translation, then I'd say you must just be happy that the client is kind enough to give you the opportunity to correct them. There is no longest time limit on these, and I would make the corrections as soon as I can.

However, sometimes clients make minor changes to the text, which needs to be reflected in the translation. If the changes are truly small, then I'd be willing to translate them within three days if the changes were made within one month after the job was initially finished. If the changes are large or if the changes are made at a much later date, then I'd consider it a new job and charge for it.

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
"Now" is relative Aug 26, 2005

If you mean that for instance the co. sends an email which reaches you late in the evening requesting changes to be made (and these have to do with mistakes/errors in the original translation) I usually wouldn't answer the email until the next morning. The co. can't tell if you have read the email (provided you have checked the option saying either something like "alert me at requests for receipt" or "never send receipts").

Samuel Murray wrote:

However, sometimes clients make minor changes to the text, which needs to be reflected in the translation. If the changes are truly small, then I'd be willing to translate them within three days if the changes were made within one month after the job was initially finished. If the changes are large or if the changes are made at a much later date, then I'd consider it a new job and charge for it.

If the changes are of the above nature, i.e. changes made by the client, I always charge it as a new job, and in my opinion the client cannot solely decide any deadline for this job, it must be negotiated as for any other new job.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Interesting question Aug 26, 2005

I just signed my second contract in which I had to promise to correct mistakes for free during a year. These kinds of demands are new to me. My own terms state that customers will have to complain within 8 working days.

Even presuming that you only take on jobs you're qualified to translate, how many (huge) assignments can a freelancer take on under these conditions? I think it's scary.

Regards,
Gerard

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
What kind of mistakes? Aug 28, 2005

If there are spelling mistakes and false translations because of misunderstandig the original, those should be corrected at once. But what if the customer comes up with a list of terms which he wants to change?
To my mind, if the customer wants to use a specific terminology he should provide a glossary at the start of the project, not weeks after I sent in the translation. What do you think?
Regards
Heinrich

EMERZE
EMERZE
Bengali to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Aug 30, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

If there are spelling mistakes and false translations because of misunderstandig the original, those should be corrected at once. But what if the customer comes up with a list of terms which he wants to change?
To my mind, if the customer wants to use a specific terminology he should provide a glossary at the start of the project, not weeks after I sent in the translation. What do you think?
Regards
Heinrich

Thanks everybody for your time.

Regards,
Emerze

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How long after completion of job do free corrections

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »