Mobile menu

What would be a reasonable late fee for a Canadian client?
Thread poster: Rosa Maria Duenas Rios
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:34
Sep 7, 2005

Hi,
I have a client who fell behind in some of her payments, but has accepted to pay a late fee on past due invoices.

I would appreciate if any of our Canadian colleagues could suggest what would be a reasonable interest rate or late fee that I could add to the said invoices. Thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2005-09-07 20:14]

Direct link Reply with quote

Will Matter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:34
English
+ ...
One and one half percent per month Sep 7, 2005

This is a fairly standard rate. Comes out to be 18% per year, simple interest. Use your best judgement.

Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:34
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Two percent per month Sep 7, 2005

...that's what I charge. My invoices include the sentence (and NOT in pt.6: 'For payment received later than 30 days after the invoice date, a surcharge of 2% per month applies.'

Cheers from Western Canada,
johanna

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:34
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 8, 2005

Thank you, Will and Johanna. I have sent a modified invoice to my client based on what I had read on the web and your comments; let's hope I will get paid this time! Regards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What would be a reasonable late fee for a Canadian client?

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs