Mobile menu

Live in Spain, working for German agency. Do I collect VAT TAX?
Thread poster: Irene Moreno
Irene Moreno
Spain
Local time: 03:55
German to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 3, 2002

I live in Spain but I have started working for a German agency on a freelance basis.

Should they pay me the VAT tax?

Thanks for your help and best regards,

Moreno

Direct link Reply with quote

J. Debrabandere
German to Dutch
no VAT Jul 3, 2002

No you don\'t have to charge VAT.

I only have German and Swiss customers and I live in Flanders (Belgium) and I don\'t have to charge VAT. For Spain there is no difference!

Greetings from Flanders

Joop

Katia Xenophontos
Belgium
Italian to French
+ ...
No VAT for European clients outside your country Jul 3, 2002

Your client will have to pay the VAT in his own country. You are exempt of paying the VAT yourself in Spain.

However - in Belgium at least - you have to mention, on your invoice, a special note saying that, under XX law, you are VAT exempt in Spain...

See with your local tax office.

Hope this helps!

Katia

Anneken
French to Dutch
+ ...
No VAT Jul 3, 2002

No, You don\'t have to charge VAT to the German agency. There is no VAT for services to a client in another member state of the EU.

HTH

Anneken

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Hold it... Jul 3, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-03 10:33, Anneken wrote:

No, You don\'t have to charge VAT to the German agency. There is no VAT for services to a client in another member state of the EU.

True in principle, but you need to make sure to adhere to some formalities: in particular, you will need to take your client\'s EU VAT ID (and make sure that it\'s correct...).

Anneken
French to Dutch
+ ...
Agree with Ralf - goes without saying. Jul 3, 2002

I don\'t know how others go about this, but personnaly I don\'t EVER accept job assignments without possessing the full coordinates (including registration number and VAT number) of the customer.

Then again, you are right to point it out, Ralf, since this may not be the case for everyone!

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Exactly Jul 3, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-03 10:36, Lemster wrote:

Quote:

On 2002-07-03 10:33, Anneken wrote:

True in principle, but you need to make sure to adhere to some formalities: in particular, you will need to take your client\'s EU VAT ID (and make sure that it\'s correct...).

And make sure you put it on your invoices.

You\'ll also need it for your VAT listings later on.

[addsig]

TTilch  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
EU VAT number needed from your client Jul 3, 2002

Hi,

If you both have an intra-EU VAT number no VAT will be charged for translations from one EU member for another EU member. Usually all companies have one, they look like this:

DE123456789

where DE stands for Germany, FR for France, etc.

You can also apply for one with your local tax authority - there is no cost involved.

Hope this helps,

Tanja

[addsig]

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No VAT to any agency/client outside of one's fiscal domicile Jul 3, 2002

However, Ralf is right, you need the agency\'s VAT number.

This is because in the EU, the agency pays the VAT to its country of domicile (under \"intracommunity acquisitions\") and some kind of regulation takes place on the Member State level (I\'m not sure as to the provisions, since inter-state VAT is in the process of convergence and changes from one year to another). But take down VAT numbers as a precaution in case fiscalisation takes place later on - more likely in the EU than outside it.

João Brogueira  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:55
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Validating VAT numbers Jul 4, 2002

You should use VIES to check whether a VAT no. is valid or not. Here\'s the URL:

http://europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_customs/databases/vies_en.htm

Regards,

João Brogueira

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Live in Spain, working for German agency. Do I collect VAT TAX?

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs