online yellow pages
Thread poster: Linda Ildevert (X)
Linda Ildevert (X)
Linda Ildevert (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:23
French to English
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks Elizabeth for your reply. I hadn't thought about the marketing issue!
I am thinking about taking out a paying priority advert. I do have one other concern though. I live in a small village about 20 miles from Edinburgh. If the potential "customer" puts in "Edinburgh", will my name come up??

[Edited at 2005-09-23 10:19]

Elizabeth Sumner
Elizabeth Sumner
Local time: 11:23
Russian to English
+ ...
Value depends on how much you wish to pay Sep 23, 2005

Dear Eden,

Hi, I got an entry in the online yellow pages (yell.com) a year or so ago. I think the value very much depends on whether you are prepared to get a paid entry or not. You can input your basic contact details and company name for free but don't expect to come anywhere near the top of the list in your area - and when they say area, they should really call it 'region'.

I guess I have had one or two small jobs from my link. On the other hand, I've received: a
... See more
Dear Eden,

Hi, I got an entry in the online yellow pages (yell.com) a year or so ago. I think the value very much depends on whether you are prepared to get a paid entry or not. You can input your basic contact details and company name for free but don't expect to come anywhere near the top of the list in your area - and when they say area, they should really call it 'region'.

I guess I have had one or two small jobs from my link. On the other hand, I've received: a huge pile of junk mail including 6 very poorly stencilled pens with my name on it, ditto four diaries, a large sheaf of offers for bulk buy stationery and a request for Hebrew interpretation - not really my field.

A lot of companies do go appear to go through Yell for marketing purposes without much thought. I've so far been called everything from managing director/CEO to the girl who looks after the stationery cupboard. Another problem is the vast number of marketing telephone calls I've received. If you are considering an entry and have a BT line, I'd strongly recommend their free anti-marketing calls option.

It is however a valuable service in that internet spiders will pick up on the entry and automatically include you in their pages. I'd say I've had quite a few jobs because of this.

I hope this helps a little.

Kind regards,

Elizabeth
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

online yellow pages

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »