Katrin Rippel Galati  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:55
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 5, 2005

Greetings,
I started a translation business. I would like to hire freelance translators as independant contractors for larger projects. What kind of IRS forms do I have to fill out for the independant contractors? Any help, advice, experience helps. Thank you, Katrin

Direct link Reply with quote

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:55
Japanese to English
+ ...
Good book, disclaimer Oct 5, 2005

It is always a good idea to consult an attorney or accountant for answers to this type of question.

xxxsarahl
English to French
+ ...
Fastrack Small business Oct 5, 2005

Hi Katrin

May I suggest you sign up for a Fastrack training with your local Chamber of Commerce? I took one last year, and it gave me a lot of answers.

In your case, the answer would be, one of the 3 people you need to run your small business is an accountant.

HTH

Sarah

Orestes Robledo  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Did you mean "independent"? Oct 5, 2005

If you want to succeed in the translation business, you need to improve your spelling.

This is only meant as constructive criticism. Please take it as such.

United States
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you All Oct 6, 2005

Indeed, it doesn't help to rush things

Greetings,
Katrin

Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 04:55
French to English
You're joking, right? Oct 6, 2005

Orestes Robledo wrote:

If you want to succeed in the translation business, you need to improve your spelling.

This is only meant as constructive criticism. Please take it as such.

As for the poster's question:

I would definitely check with your local Ch of Commerce and absorb all of the free information they have on offer. They might also be able to tell you about any local small business associations that can give you additional or more specific advice. Not only is this a good way to stay informed, you might also find it a good way to network.

I have to agree with Sarah that for peace of mind an accountant is definitely a key person to have on your team. The advice mine has given me has been worth far more than the fees I have paid.

It's much easier to cross your t's and dot your i's beforehand than to deal with legal/tax problems later.

Good luck!

Sara

Just thought of another idea...an acquaintance of mine in the US is involved in a women's mentoring group for small business owners...you might want to see if there is anything like that available where you are.

[Edited at 2005-10-06 08:38]

United States
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
IRS and DOL Oct 7, 2005

Sara -
Yes, that's right. An accountant will be part of the team.

I attended workshops offered by the local IRS office and the DOL. They were helpful yet only to get a general overview.
I didn’t check out the Ch. of Commerce. Great idea! Thank you.

Greetings,
Katrin

Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 04:55
French to English
Katrin, Oct 10, 2005

Katrin Rippel wrote:

Sara -
Yes, that's right. An accountant will be part of the team.

Serves me right for being sarcastic in my posting. My comment "you are joking" was directed at the person who corrected your spelling, not at your business plans!

Good luck getting things off the ground!

Sara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

independant contractor/freelancer

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs