indiv. freelancer using a business name
Thread poster: Andy Wright
Andy Wright
Andy Wright
Local time: 05:35
Spanish to English
Oct 9, 2005

Are you an individual freelance translator, doing business under a company name? I need to talk to someone in that situation.

I originally planned to work in a partnership, but now I'm on my own. I still have a website and print material with the company name. Can someone tell me advantages/disadvantages of marketing under a company name, versus just advertising myself as a freelancer?

Can you talk to me about legal/tax issues?

Thanks for any advice!!

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 05:35
English to French
+ ...
Depends... Oct 9, 2005

Hi Andy

Are you a sole proprietorship or an LLC?

I am using a DBA myself -I'm a sole proprietor- for a number of reasons, but it doesn't affect my tax schedule.

I'm afraid your questions were not specific enough...

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:35
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
As I've said a couple of times recently in other threads... Oct 9, 2005

...get Nolo Press's "Working for Yourself". It'll answer your questions.

Silvia Baldi (X)
Silvia Baldi (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:35
English to Italian
+ ...
My experience Oct 9, 2005

Hi Andy,

after working as a freelance and inhouse translator, I opened my own agency some months ago. Even if it's a small agency (I'm the only person working here at the moment) I experienced a massive difference between advertising as a freelance and as a business. I think it's a matter of credibility - the local market and potential customers prefer working with a more "structured" organization rather than an individual. But every market is different, and you should try and find
... See more
Hi Andy,

after working as a freelance and inhouse translator, I opened my own agency some months ago. Even if it's a small agency (I'm the only person working here at the moment) I experienced a massive difference between advertising as a freelance and as a business. I think it's a matter of credibility - the local market and potential customers prefer working with a more "structured" organization rather than an individual. But every market is different, and you should try and find out which type of business is considered more reliable.

My working method and quality procedures remain the same, I still follow personally all projects for my language combinations, and when I can't cope with the workload, I outsource projects only to translators I trust 100% - same as I did before. However, now I have a much higher rate of positive replies to my advertising emails and phonecalls than I had when I was a freelance.

Hope it was helpful - good luck!!

Silvia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

indiv. freelancer using a business name

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »