Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 17:35
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jul 10, 2002

From FITA

As business becomes more global, many of us have realized that manners and etiquette -- knowing how to behave in various business settings -- are at least as important as price and product quality. For some useful pointers on this, visit Business Etiquette at

http://www.hbcollege.com/management/students/bus_etiquette.htm#5<
... See more
From FITA

As business becomes more global, many of us have realized that manners and etiquette -- knowing how to behave in various business settings -- are at least as important as price and product quality. For some useful pointers on this, visit Business Etiquette at

http://www.hbcollege.com/management/students/bus_etiquette.htm#5

a site with articles that show you how to behave in business situations. It\'s well worth a look, if you want to learn how to negotiate any business situation with style and grace.

And here\'s a similar site.

I\'ve never traveled to Tajikistan, but I\'ll know how to behave if I ever do. I\'ll know, for instance, that it\'s good manners to take off my shoes (but not socks) if I enter someone\'s house, and never to turn bread upside down.

I learned this at the Bag-Lady at

http://www.the-bag-lady.co.uk

which is a valuable reference tool for people doing business internationally. Simply click on \"Countries A-Z\" at the home page, then select a country, click on the type of information you want (social profile, business profile, demographics, etc.), and click on \"Build profile\" at the bottom of the page. In seconds you\'ll get detailed information about the country you selected

And here\'s a third one:

I\'m your typical white male of European descent, and I rarely touch people in a normal business conversation. If I ever do business in Brazil, however, I\'ll have to get used to people touching my arm, elbow, and back, because that\'s an accepted part of Brazilian body language. I learned that at the Window on the World Country Profiles page at

www.windowontheworldinc.com/countryprofile/index.html.

This page has useful information about the customs and etiquette of many countries in the world.

It\'s better than many of the business etiquette sites I\'ve seen, because it\'s more comprehensive.

It gives you details about local corporate culture, dining entertainment, gift-giving customs, how to dress, and much more.

There are also tips especially for women, to help them successfully negotiate the local business scene.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-22 17:14 ]
Collapse

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:35
English to Spanish
Thanks, Evert Jul 10, 2002

That was interesting and fun. Too bad as a freelancer I\'ll never have an office holiday party...

Andrea

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Protocol...manners..... Jul 10, 2002

Gracias...

JL

Marsel de Souza
Marsel de Souza  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The Economist's Cities Guide Jul 10, 2002

Hi,

Great links on etiquette, Evert. This reminded me of a section in the Economist Magazine called \"Cities Guide\". It contains very interesting info about many business cities around the world. The info on business etiquette is particularly amusing.

Regards,

Lfbrasil.

http://www.economist.com/cities/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Three Etiquette Sites

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »