Thread poster: Saiwai Translation Services

Saiwai Translation Services  Identity Verified
India
Member (2005)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Nov 1, 2005

Dear Friends,

I run my own translation agency. Some clients contact me thru' proz.com.
If any proz translator who has worked with me wants to add his/her comments on my Blue Board rating 5, is it risky for my business?
I know "rating 5" is good for getting translators, but what about clients?

What I mean to say, if my client contact me via proz, he may contact my favourite translators seeing my BB directly. And it may affect my translation business.
don't you think so?

Your replies are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
non-competition clause Nov 1, 2005

Interesting question

Do you make your providers sign a translation agreement? It is customary for translation agencies to have a non-competition clause in their translation agreements, at least in the U.S. Translators agree not to enter into direct business with the agency's end clients while they are getting work through the agency, and sometimes for a period of time after that. This is intended to prevent the type of situation you're describing. I will let more legally-savvy colleagues elaborate on this topic.

Best wishes,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator, English into Spanish
sgalilea@ispwest.com
www.accentonspanish.com

Saiwai Translation Services  Identity Verified
India
Member (2005)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Nov 1, 2005

Susana Galilea wrote:

Interesting question

Do you make your providers sign a translation agreement? It is customary for translation agencies to have a non-competition clause in their translation agreements, at least in the U.S. Translators agree not to enter into direct business with the agency's end clients while they are getting work through the agency, and sometimes for a period of time after that. This is intended to prevent the type of situation you're describing. I will let more legally-savvy colleagues elaborate on this topic.

Best wishes,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator, English into Spanish
sgalilea@ispwest.com
www.accentonspanish.com

Thanks Susana,

I am not talking about our repeating clients. I am talking about new clients.
This new client may contact directly to our freelancers.
Same case may happen with our repeatative clients also.
In this case we cannot blame only freelancers. RIGHT?

Angus Woo
Local time: 10:31
Chinese to English
+ ...
I think you are over-worried. Nov 1, 2005

When a client is trying to locate a translator, there are a number of better ways to do that. In fact there are thousands of registered translators for each language pair, why should a potential client only pick one or two translators out of your team? What you are worried about in fact is something rather unlikely to happen, for it¡¯s like not seeing the wood for the trees. It doesn't make sense at all.

By the way, I personally believe that most translators do observe some code of conduct. That¡¯s what we call integrity, right?

So relax, you will be just fine.

fcl
France
Local time: 03:31
German to French
+ ...
Criteria Nov 1, 2005

Saiwai Translation Services wrote:

This new client may contact directly to our freelancers.
Same case may happen with our repeatative clients also.
In this case we cannot blame only freelancers. RIGHT?

A 5 rating only means she/he was happy working with you, not that she/he is a good translator. I for myself would not rely on this hiring a translator.

Best regards,
François

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
True, but I don't think it'll happen often. Nov 1, 2005

It's true that the client may contact your favorite translators directly, and the BB is the way to find some of them, but I don't think it'll happen very often.

Often clients consider whether they should use a freelancer or an agency, before contacting either with a job proposal. If the client has chosen to contact an agency, they usually have their reasons for doing so, and seeing the BB entries would not make them reconsider and chose one the freelancers in stead.

Just my 2 cents

Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
French to German
+ ...
Looking up a freelancer is what a client may do, anyway Nov 1, 2005

Saiwai Translation Services wrote:
What I mean to say, if my client contacts me via proz, he may contact my favourite translators seeing my BB directly.

You seem to postulate a new client that wants to work with you, on the one hand, but will then go to your translator instead, on the other hand.

I dont think that likely. If that customer had wanted your translator, he could have looked the translator up in the freelancer directory with much less trouble in the first place!

I see no point for a customer to use the Blueboard of all things to find freelancers. This is very inconvenient, since the Blueboard does not even list the translators' language combinations, much less their special areas. Your clients have no means to know just what areas you employ your freelancers for and in just what areas you believe them specially competent.

If you fear, on the other hand, that customers which have already bought translations through you then look up your suppliers in order to cut you out, this can be prevented with appropriate terms of business (for customers as well as for translators).

So I would not worry too much about that if I were in your shoes.

P.B.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Different types of activities Nov 1, 2005

Translators translate.
Agencies coordinate terminologists, translators, proofreaders, and clients.

I don't see any competition in there as long as you intend to do something for the money you will deduct.

[Edited at 2005-11-01 09:23]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blue Board entries

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs