Special (fixed) prices for certain kinds of jobs?
Thread poster: Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:01
German to English
Nov 8, 2005

The new Yellow Pages came out yesterday with my ad in it for the first time, and today I already got a couple of calls both for the same kind of thing: a CV and a letter of application. These are pretty easy to do and if I calculate them with my normal rate (per line) the price is too high considering the time needed to do the work.

In the end I set the price by the hour, but I was thinking it might be a good idea to
... See more
The new Yellow Pages came out yesterday with my ad in it for the first time, and today I already got a couple of calls both for the same kind of thing: a CV and a letter of application. These are pretty easy to do and if I calculate them with my normal rate (per line) the price is too high considering the time needed to do the work.

In the end I set the price by the hour, but I was thinking it might be a good idea to have a fixed price for a CV and letter, which I could quote on the phone. (When I'm the customer I far prefer it if I can get an immediate idea of how much something will cost.) Does anyone else have fixed prices for certain kinds of jobs, and if so, which sorts?
Collapse

Stendhal
Stendhal  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
So mach` ich`s - Please re-post in English! Nov 8, 2005

Hallo Anne,

ein Lebenslauf kann eine Seite lang sein, aber auch drei. Folglich ist der Pauschalpreis entweder zu hoch für den Kunden oder zu gering für Deinen Arbeitsaufwand. Eine Kollegin von mir murmelt immer etwas von "Ich berechne 50.-€/Seite", was aber auch nicht grundsätzlich paßt. Vielleicht kannst Du Dir eine Art Richtwert errechnen, abhängig von der Art der Übersetzung.

Ich mache es bei guten Direktkunden oft so, daß ich ein Angebot durchrechne und da
... See more
Hallo Anne,

ein Lebenslauf kann eine Seite lang sein, aber auch drei. Folglich ist der Pauschalpreis entweder zu hoch für den Kunden oder zu gering für Deinen Arbeitsaufwand. Eine Kollegin von mir murmelt immer etwas von "Ich berechne 50.-€/Seite", was aber auch nicht grundsätzlich paßt. Vielleicht kannst Du Dir eine Art Richtwert errechnen, abhängig von der Art der Übersetzung.

Ich mache es bei guten Direktkunden oft so, daß ich ein Angebot durchrechne und dann einen Pauschalpreis anbiete. Das gilt auch für Privatleute, bei denen ich durch entsprechende Fragen abchecke, wie viel Geld sie aufbringen können. In unserer ländlichen Gegend gibt es eine Menge Leute, für die man für Gottes Lohn arbeiten soll - schließlich müssen sie ja ihr Haus, den BMW und den Urlaub bezahlen. Aber nicht auf meine Kosten. Solche werden dann normal gerupft... Bei wirklich ärmeren spiele ich allerdings gerne Robin Hood.

Ein Pauschalpreis hat den Vorteil, daß der Kunde einen überschaubaren Preis hat, nicht mehr pfennigfuchsend hinterherkalkuliert und ich mich nicht ärgern muß, wenn ich zwei Zeilen zuwenig kalkuliert habe.

Viel Erfolg!

Stendhal

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-11-08 13:12]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I charge per document for certificates Nov 8, 2005

Anne Koth wrote:
In the end I set the price by the hour, but I was thinking it might be a good idea to have a fixed price for a CV and letter, which I could quote on the phone.

I do it all the time. But whereas you quote per line, I quote per word, and then the quote is *insufficient* for the amount of work. So I charge per page of a certificate. For CVs and résumés, I charge my usual charge, per word.

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the ideas Nov 9, 2005

I was thinking of doing it per page. I'm not sure if I'd be any good at Stendhal's method of checking out how well-off the customer was by asking questions. What kind of questions do you ask?

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In perspective Nov 9, 2005

A CV is crucial to a person's application for a job. Getting the right job is one of the most decisive factors influencing a person's future.

Someone who wants their CV translated into a foreign language is presumably not aiming for a job stacking supermarket shelves. So getting their CV right can be expected to have very major consequences. (I was tempted to say "financial consequences", but the impact upon a person's life is arguably even greater than that.)

This bein
... See more
A CV is crucial to a person's application for a job. Getting the right job is one of the most decisive factors influencing a person's future.

Someone who wants their CV translated into a foreign language is presumably not aiming for a job stacking supermarket shelves. So getting their CV right can be expected to have very major consequences. (I was tempted to say "financial consequences", but the impact upon a person's life is arguably even greater than that.)

This being the case, an applicant might be advised to sit down with a competent translator and go through the CV line by line, explaining the various periods of education, training and vocational experience and - importantly - their relevance to the direction the applicant envisages their career taking, so that the translator can formulate and structure the CV appropriately. This discussion process alone might be expected to take three or four hours.

If done properly - and that presupposes that the translator is very familiar with what employers expect of a CV in the target country - the result would be a very valuable document which could and should be charged for accordingly. After all, when a solicitor writes a letter on behalf of his client, he doesn't charge by the number of words.

I don't translate CVs, but if I did, that's how I'd go about it. Would I be the only one?

Marc
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Special (fixed) prices for certain kinds of jobs?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »