Mobile menu

How is the market for translations into Latvian?
Thread poster: xxxpkb
xxxpkb

Local time: 06:04
French to English
Nov 17, 2005

I have a new neighbour, here in SW London, who is Latvian (yes, one of the hundreds of thousands who have come to the UK in recent months !), speaks Latvian, Russian and impeccable English and is fed up with waitressing. But she has no translating experience.

Has the market for Latvian translations increased since the EU enlargement?

Can anyone suggest how she stops being a waitress and gets a "proper job"?

Philip
Fr>En, Building, Property


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Kristine Sprula (Lielause)  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:04
English to Latvian
+ ...
Language knowledge and ability to translate.... Nov 17, 2005

Philip BOYDEN wrote:

I have a new neighbour, here in SW London, who is Latvian (yes, one of the hundreds of thousands who have come to the UK in recent months !), speaks Latvian, Russian and impeccable English and is fed up with waitressing. But she has no translating experience.
Has the market for Latvian translations increased since the EU enlargement?
Can anyone suggest how she stops being a waitress and gets a "proper job"?
Philip
Fr>En, Building, Property


Dear Philip,
I am native Latvian translator living in Latvia.
I must say that Latvian translations have increased as now Latvian is one of the official EU languages.
But I also must say that the fact that a person has impeccable knowlege of some foreign language does not necessarily mean that the person IS ABLE to translate. You should know that.

Kr.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxpkb

Local time: 06:04
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
She has a lot to learn ! Nov 17, 2005

Kristine Lielause wrote:


Dear Philip,
I am native Latvian translator living in Latvia.
I must say that Latvian translations have increased as now Latvian is one of the official EU languages.
But I also must say that the fact that a person has impeccable knowlege of some foreign language does not necessarily mean that the person IS ABLE to translate. You should know that.

Kr.
Oh, yes. Talking isn't the same as translating !

You need to be able to speak English to be a waitress, but I know translators who don't speak their source languages; they can only read them.

I have found 2 Latvian translator members of ITI (that's all there are and there are no interpreters) and I will suggest she contacts them.

Her name is Kristine - I now know how to spell it !

Thank you for your reply.

Philip


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:04
Latvian to English
+ ...
Agree with Kristine Nov 17, 2005

As Kristine pointed out, being fluent in three languages doesn't necessarily mean that someone is able to translate and it's not the easiest way of earning money (at least to start with).
However, I do know that Latvian interpreters are in great demand in the UK, so maybe this an option that she could explore? If she is interested in public sector interpreting then she should consider applying for the NRPSI www.nrpsi.org.uk which will involve taking either the DPSI (Diploma in Public Service Interpreting) or the Met Test (2 exams administered by the Institute of Linguists).


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxpkb

Local time: 06:04
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
A useful tip Nov 17, 2005

Jana Teteris wrote:

However, I do know that Latvian interpreters are in great demand in the UK, so maybe this an option that she could explore? If she is interested in public sector interpreting then she should consider applying for the NRPSI www.nrpsi.org.uk which will involve taking either the DPSI (Diploma in Public Service Interpreting) or the Met Test (2 exams administered by the Institute of Linguists).
There are 2 translator members of ITI and no interpreters, so I would think that you are right about the high demand.

Thanks for the tip; I will pass it on.

Philip


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How is the market for translations into Latvian?

Advanced search


Translation news





SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs