How is the market for translations into Latvian?
Thread poster: xxxpkb
xxxpkb

Local time: 09:56
French to English
Nov 17, 2005

I have a new neighbour, here in SW London, who is Latvian (yes, one of the hundreds of thousands who have come to the UK in recent months !), speaks Latvian, Russian and impeccable English and is fed up with waitressing. But she has no translating experience.

Has the market for Latvian translations increased since the EU enlargement?

Can anyone suggest how she stops being a waitress and gets a "proper job"?

Philip
Fr>En, Building, Property

Direct link Reply with quote

Kristine Sprula (Lielause)  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 11:56
English to Latvian
+ ...
Language knowledge and ability to translate.... Nov 17, 2005

Philip BOYDEN wrote:

I have a new neighbour, here in SW London, who is Latvian (yes, one of the hundreds of thousands who have come to the UK in recent months !), speaks Latvian, Russian and impeccable English and is fed up with waitressing. But she has no translating experience.
Has the market for Latvian translations increased since the EU enlargement?
Can anyone suggest how she stops being a waitress and gets a "proper job"?
Philip
Fr>En, Building, Property

Dear Philip,
I am native Latvian translator living in Latvia.
I must say that Latvian translations have increased as now Latvian is one of the official EU languages.
But I also must say that the fact that a person has impeccable knowlege of some foreign language does not necessarily mean that the person IS ABLE to translate. You should know that.

Kr.

xxxpkb

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
She has a lot to learn ! Nov 17, 2005

Kristine Lielause wrote:

Dear Philip,
I am native Latvian translator living in Latvia.
I must say that Latvian translations have increased as now Latvian is one of the official EU languages.
But I also must say that the fact that a person has impeccable knowlege of some foreign language does not necessarily mean that the person IS ABLE to translate. You should know that.

Kr.
Oh, yes. Talking isn't the same as translating !

You need to be able to speak English to be a waitress, but I know translators who don't speak their source languages; they can only read them.

I have found 2 Latvian translator members of ITI (that's all there are and there are no interpreters) and I will suggest she contacts them.

Her name is Kristine - I now know how to spell it !

Thank you for your reply.

Philip

Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Latvian to English
+ ...
Agree with Kristine Nov 17, 2005

As Kristine pointed out, being fluent in three languages doesn't necessarily mean that someone is able to translate and it's not the easiest way of earning money (at least to start with).
However, I do know that Latvian interpreters are in great demand in the UK, so maybe this an option that she could explore? If she is interested in public sector interpreting then she should consider applying for the NRPSI www.nrpsi.org.uk which will involve taking either the DPSI (Diploma in Public Service Interpreting) or the Met Test (2 exams administered by the Institute of Linguists).

xxxpkb

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
A useful tip Nov 17, 2005

Jana Teteris wrote:

However, I do know that Latvian interpreters are in great demand in the UK, so maybe this an option that she could explore? If she is interested in public sector interpreting then she should consider applying for the NRPSI www.nrpsi.org.uk which will involve taking either the DPSI (Diploma in Public Service Interpreting) or the Met Test (2 exams administered by the Institute of Linguists).
There are 2 translator members of ITI and no interpreters, so I would think that you are right about the high demand.

Thanks for the tip; I will pass it on.

Philip

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How is the market for translations into Latvian?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums