Mobile menu

Your suggestions on rates for transcripton/translation Eng/Spa with no text support
Thread poster: Marisa Condurso de Nohara

Marisa Condurso de Nohara  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 30, 2005

I'm a translator specialized in some fields of medicine. My daily task deals with translating from English into LA Spanish on a continuous basis, mainly for a good and always welcome client. Now, I have been contacted to translate into my mother tongue a series of slide shows accompanied by the speakers' voices in "off" mode. The slides themselves will not be translated. It is every speech which needs: listening to the English speech, typing in English and finally translating into Spanish. I know that some colleagues devoted to movies charge by the running minute, but they are supported by the script of the movie being sent by their customers. This is not the case. I have to resort to my ear-training, typing and then translating. Being a mostly-medical-translator I am not used to deal with these jobs. Could you give me at least a hint on how to charge for the whole task? Per minute running, too? How much? Transcription and translation included in a single rate? I will really appreciate your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Becky Katz  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Per hour for the transcription, your regular rate for translation Nov 30, 2005

Nohara

I would charge them per hour to transcribe this text, since it might take you a while to do it (you don't know if the person's accent will be hard to understand, if they'll be using complicated words, etc.). Then you can charge them your regular per word translation rates for the actual English>Spanish translation.

suerte!
Becky

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And what about that gold standard "per minute running"? Nov 30, 2005

Thank you for your suggestion Becky. But what if the customer asks why I am not using the gold standard used by translators devoted to movies? I know they charge per minute (tape running) but the company sends them the script. I've never been able to understand why they charge per minute when they do have a text. But in my case, it is as described above. And by the way... I have already listened to the speeches, they are online in English in a website for medical doctors and my client allowed me to gain access to have a more precise idea of the whole thing. Accents are no problem, one speaker's pronunciation is slightly affected by German language (I can cope with it too because have studied that language for a long time) I mean: everything is quite understandable. And terminology, well...that's my specialization. But, truth to tell, my translations are, obviously, based on a per-word basis. You tell me to charge by the hour plus translation fees. How could I estimate the hour rate? Sorry, I'm making this too boring. I'm quite concerned. It is my best customer ever.

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Estimating per hour rate - Nov 30, 2005

Considering a typical per-day output of 2,500 - 3,000 words:

TDO X RPW = TPD / 8 = Per hour rate

TDO = Total Daily Output
RPW = Rate per Word
TPD = Total per Day
8 = Hours worked

--
Dyran

[Edited at 2005-11-30 22:46]

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Transcription Rates Nov 30, 2005

To give you an idea, transcription rates here in the US (for medical texts) are about US$30 to US$40 per hour.

On average, an hour of tape from a reasonably good sound file would take anywhere from 6 to 8 hours to transcribe.

Bear in mind, though, that people who offer this service are expert transcriptionists/typists, so your mileage may vary.

--
Dyran

[Edited at 2005-12-01 01:08]

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TPD is fine, but does not tell your customer total pricing Nov 30, 2005

Thank you Dyran, your equations are quite valuable for this and for future assignments. But this time, I will not be able to inform my client the total pricing. I have no text for a previous source word count. Only sound. Can you still help me? I must be too tired (more than 3,000 per day since long) I cannot even think. Please feel free to comment.

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Total Pricing Dec 1, 2005

Nohara wrote:
Thank you Dyran, your equations are quite valuable for this and for future assignments. But this time, I will not be able to inform my client the total pricing. I have no text for a previous source word count. Only sound. Can you still help me? I must be too tired (more than 3,000 per day since long) I cannot even think. Please feel free to comment.

My suggestion would be to download the sound files (although the client should have provided them to you in advance so you could prepare a quote), and transcribe for about an hour.

Check how many minutes of tape you went through (2? 5? 10?) and multiply accordingly.

BTW, I'm curious to know why you don't want to charge your client by the hour. Is it a matter of trust?

--
Dyran
(charging by the hour, more often than not)

xxxNicolette Ri
Local time: 23:20
French to Dutch
+ ...
I agree Dec 1, 2005

1 hour of tape = 6 - 8 hours of transcribing, and that will give you, in the case of conferences, about 28 pages of 250 words. This is a mean of course. In France, prices of 40 € per hour are normal.

The only thing I am asking yourself is what service your client wants, or the degree of translation he wants. Does he want you to translate every word, as in the case of a legal translation, or is it a text for broadcasting, or does he only want to know what is on the tape? This is not the same, in the latter case you can type directly your translation, without transcribing.

By the way,
http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/
is a tool for transcribing digital audio files.

[Edited at 2005-12-01 13:39]

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Charges by the hour versus total price Dec 1, 2005

(quote)

BTW, I'm curious to know why you don't want to charge your client by the hour. Is it a matter of trust?

--
Dyran
(charging by the hour, more often than not)[/quote]

Thanks again Dyran,
There is a high level of mutual trust. They never ask me the total price. They usually send me a text or they indicate me the way to gain access at a specific website to retrieve the text by myself, and for bulky websites they send me the copydecks. These circumstances always mean a direct "go". Of course, we have a rate agreed upon, acc. to each case.

But this time, I am dealing with a member within the same company who wants to evaluate the cost/profit ratio. Therefore, I am asked to give them an idea of the whole price of one presentation (speech only) at least. The normal situation would have been to receive the usual "plz, translate this if possible for (deadline)"
But now, if I can't estimate from the source the approx. lenght/wordcount/etc., I should translate a piece of text more or less "representative" of the whole to have an idea of my per-hour rate. Hope to have clarified your doubts/curiosity. Thank you for all your support.

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cases when transcription and/or translation are required Dec 1, 2005

Nicolette Richy wrote:

The only thing I am asking yourself is what service your client wants, or the degree of translation he wants. Does he want you to translate every word, as in the case of a legal translation, or is it a text for broadcasting, or does he only want to know what is on the tape? This is not the same, in the latter case you can type directly your translation, without transcribing.

By the way,
http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/
is a tool for transcribing digital audio files.

[Edited at 2005-12-01 13:39]

Thank you for the resource suggested. I will log in soon.
As regards your question, the client knows perfectly what is all about. This deals with pieces of conferences planned to be online for Spanish-speaking medical doctors, a service already offered to English-speaking ones. So, the client only needs my translation. I could of course translate each speech directly, without transcribing. But you never know when a TM (translation memory) will render its best service to you in the future. This is why transcribing is the first step for my own benefit. Many medical conferences result, with the time, in another work. Then, your translation memory will help you to be consistent with previous texts.

Finally, I'm not sure if the rate you mentioned as commonly acceptable in France means only transcription or transcription plus translation. Which one of these two cases?
As far as I could see in another forum here in Proz, translators devoted to movies charge per minute running, they are sent the script, and when they say USD 5.00/minute they mean translation (since transcription is not necessary for them. They have been furnished with the script). Therefore I found my potential assignment was somewhat difficult to charge.
Hope you have a little time pour me exprimer ce que je ne peux pas comprendre (I really lost my French: to explain me what I can't understand) of your suggested rate.
Receive you all my warmest regards,
Nohara (Marisa C. de Nohara
Thank you all for your kind support, suggestions and resources.

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Per hour quotation, sound track duration, final price...and Flash Dec 1, 2005

It is quite clear that I will charge by the hour, that I need the sound track to estimate each speech length and that everything will lead me to the total pricing.

But, after such a warm support you all deserve to know the reason for so many questions:
I consider this assignment-to-be somewhat complicated to estimate, because on top of it all, the website containing the slide-shows with each doctor's speech is in Flash. So, although I wanted to avoid it, I will have to contact my client to ask their webmaster/s to inform me the lenght of each speech. As far as I know, Flash does not allow one to discriminate between sound and image files when one wants downloads.

I really appreciate all the time devoted to help me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in case I could be of any support, help or idea for you.
Warmest regards and Muchas Gracias/ Merci beaucoup / Dank U wel/ Thank you
Marisa de Nohara

[Edited at 2005-12-01 18:10]

juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:20
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Movie or not movie? Dec 9, 2005

[quote]Nohara wrote:

Nicolette Richy wrote:

As far as I could see in another forum here in Proz, translators devoted to movies charge per minute running, they are sent the script, and when they say USD 5.00/minute they mean translation (since transcription is not necessary for them. They have been furnished with the script).

I know, it is a bit late to comment, but it may help you in the future.

Nicolette's question is very important. Particularly, as you think, that "movie translators" are sent the script, and they translate the script. That is the least likely scenario. In any case, the script may not tally with what they say on the film. I think you mean subtitles.

There are endless variations of what you translate from, and what the end result is supposed to be.
You may get a tape, nothing else, and have to time cue, watch, listen, create subtitles and translate.
Or you get fully prepared subtitles with the tape, and then you only watch and listen to get a fuller picture, and translate the subtitles. I think, that's what you were thinking of.

The actual work can be anything in between. Picking up one company's price list, I counted 26 different variations, not to mention minimum prices or urgent ones.

Adding to Nicolette's question, does time and space limitation come into the job you have to do, in other words: is your translation going to be used for presentation in the form of subtitles? I guess, not.
So forget about what "movie translators" do, and time your transcription as suggested, and add your usual translation rate for the translation part.

As you don't have to translate the slides, the visual side doesn't come into it. Your work in this instance is more similar to the transcription and translation of court or police tapes.

Regards
Judith

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No movie. Congress transcription and translation Dec 9, 2005

Hi Judith! It is not "too" late. Not even late. Other jobs from the same client came in-between so the presentations were left stand-by. But now, we are approaching the time to come back to my quotation again. My job will not involve subtitles. It will not even be a voice-over. The English sound track will be eliminated (in the Spanish speaking version) and replaced by the Spanish voices.
You are right. I'll forget about "movie translators". This kind of task is just a question of transcription and translation.
Thank you for your advice and have a nice day.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your suggestions on rates for transcripton/translation Eng/Spa with no text support

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs