Mobile menu

Legal protection for translators?
Thread poster: AminD
Local time: 02:46
English to Arabic
Dec 7, 2005

I like to ask the following question: What kind of legal protection is available for translators? I am researching the environment of the translator as part of a project during the last year of my translation study. The question is specially related to translators in the UK and other countries in Europe.

Well, another question is: Are there differences in legal protection? When looking to different parts of the world?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

With regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:46
German to English
+ ...
Legal protection for translators Dec 7, 2005

Hi Amin,

Welcome to Proz!

Could you please be a little more specific and elaborate what you mean by "legal protection"?

Aside from the general legal protection offered to every citizen in the form of rights being enforced by the State, there are many areas in which some form of legal protection comes into contact with translators: contract law, tax law, employment law and copyright law (just to name a few).

It also depends a lot on the "type" of translator, i.e. freelance or employed, literary or technical, sworn or not.

If you could be a bit more specific, it might be easier to help.

Best regards,

Local time: 02:46
English to Arabic
Legal protection in general (UK)... Dec 7, 2005

Hi Derek,

Thank you for your answer.

I am investigating all kinds of legal protection, so legal protection in general. For example in situations when your client doesn't pay you, or when a client claims that you made a huge translation mistake and that you have to pay the loss/costs. I already did some investigation on indemnity insurances, but this covers only certain areas. I now like to know more about which legal protection a (freelance)translator can get when the client doesn't stick to the contract. What if you are part of an association, and the client doesn't pay?

I hope this a bit more specific.

With regards,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legal protection for translators?

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs